Bean bag rounds

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by BB4xl, Jun 13, 2020.

1. BB4xl

BB4xl

With all the Civil unrest, what are your thoughts on Bean bag rounds in 12 gauge shot guns?
    With 2 people defending a business one could have Bean bag or some other none lethal rounds and the second person could be armed with lethal rounds. During a Riot here 3 store owners ran off the rioters with Shotguns. I thought about the consequences if they shot someone
    Thank you

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Not a great idea, for several reasons:

-- There is always the possibility of the "lethal" shotgun getting mixed up with the "less-lethal" one. That's why the stocks of dedicated beanbag shotguns owned by LE agencies are conspicuously painted bright yellow or Day-Glo orange. I can think of one agency that has been known to use old Ithacas as beanbag guns and more recently purchased Remingtons as live fire shotguns.

-- There is always the possibility of a live round getting mixed in with the "less-lethal" loads.

-- Depending on range and exactly where the shot strikes, a beanbag round can cause death or crippling injury: a damaged eye, a ruptured testicle, a fractured skull when the "shot" individual falls, etc. That's why it is termed "less-lethal" instead of "lethal." In other words, it's likely to be construed as deadly force. By your own lights, in firing a beanbag round instead of buckshot, you were tacitly admitting that it was not yet a deadly force situation...yet you used force construable as lethal.

-- When you fire a 12 gauge beanbag load at someone it will appear to eyewitnesses -- and their cameras -- as if you are attempting to kill that person with shotgun fire.

-- If you are seen to fire a shotgun at someone and that same person drops a moment later because someone else dumped a load of buckshot into him, it's gonna look like YOU killed him.

All told, I would not go that route.

Best,
    Mas

Des'Etude and FullClip like this.

3. BB4xl

BB4xl

Thank you.