close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Beagle owners

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Singlemalt, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Singlemalt

Singlemalt In the rough

Considering a beagle and want some input. Are they difficult to house train? I currently live in a condo (no back yard) but looking to buy a another house soon with a full yard.

Are they ok as indoor only or should I wait until I buy the house with a back yard?

2. XeRoFuN

XeRoFuN

Well, it took our Beagle almost a year to be fully housetrained. We lived in a townhome at that time and just had him do his business on pads. When we moved into a townhome without a backyard, he was ok as an indoor only dog. But I believe that was because he had a Basset Hound to play with. From my experience, a Beagle alone will be quite a handful for a while (howling, ripping up stuff out of boredom, etc). That is probably the case with other dogs, but to me it seems like Beagles are a little more stubborn. IMO, if you have other dogs, then a Beagle would be fine in a condo without a yard. Just make sure to walk him plenty of times. They have quite a bit of energy and will find an outlet for it (and usually in a destructive purpose). When ours was a puppy with our Basset puppy, he would chew holes in the wall of the garage (it was an attached garage) when we were away. Our Beagle is almost three years old now and finally is able to have bedding in his crate that he will not chew to shreds. Any other questions, please ask. Our Beagle came from a long line of Champions so we thought he'd be an easy one to train. Meh, we love him though. He snorts a lot so we think of him as our little :pig:

The day we first got him:
    [​IMG]

3. tuffie226

tuffie226

Wife and I own three beagles, the first two being house-trained while we lived in an apt, and the last being adopted once we had bought our first home. There really hasn't been any sort of difference in the amount of time in house training, and I would almost say the youngest might take longer. I say this because now that we have a large backyard, and they are out most of the time, that we do not pay as much attention while they are indoors, so the youngest never really learned to signal if she needed out. Just my .02

4. sopdan

sopdan

Well, my dad's beagle took a while to become fully house-trained (1+ years). However, he lived in an outdoor pen until we got him at about 18 months. He's not the average beagle though, in my experience. The only time I've ever heard him bawl was when he was on the trail of a rabbit, and he seems a bit more intelligent than a lot of beagles I've met.

He's an old man now, and has really slowed down the last few years. Another thing I've witnessed is that you need to control their food intake and give them plenty of exercise, or else they'll become one of those fat-arse beagles. Before him, we had a springer that you just made sure the bowl had food in it and she'd regulate herself. Beagles will just eat whatever's there it seems like.

5. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

My dad's Beagles ate like pigs too, they were bottomless pits and if you gave them too much food they gorged and got ill? :shocked:

6. kastiron

kastiron CBA Postal Dir

Our beagle is part goat... So far, three surgeries to remove things that should not have been consumed..

One woven rug that the kennel provided her to lay on for the weekend. Yep, the kind that kids used to use in kindergarden for naps.

One time, it was a plastic shopping bag that held something she wanted.

Finally, a small hairpiece..

Easy to housetrain though! It took about a week using the crate method.

7. cocked@locked

cocked@locked senior member

my beagle is now two years old, she was very easy to house train and crate train, she house trained in under 6 days, we still have her crate up but i took the door off and had a cover made for it with a flap instead of a door, she loves it, as pups they love to chew so you will have to assert a little authority and keep him or her busy with plenty of chew toys, she is also excellent with my children and excels as a hunter, and as stated above they love to eat, so you must watch and restrict there diet. they also are great companions, they are smart, loveable, very clean, and quite capable in the woods, there where times i had to break off hunts because her nose gets raw and blooded from tracking and flushing game, they are very devoted, if you get a beagle you will not be dissapointed :thumbsup: