Be very careful with compressed air....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Aug 16, 2018.

1. BSA70

BSA70

I remember a thread awhile back touting the dangers of compressed air. Well it has hit very close to home. My friend, a mechanic for over 20 years, lost his right eye with compressed air. He was standing over a motor and blew compressed air into a pipe. Some came back on him and got his eye. The center of his eye is a black ball and he has lost all vision in the eye. It is very painful and they are talking about removing the eye.

There was no debris blow back, just air....

Caver 60, AdamRodgers, -JCN- and 5 others like this.
  2. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Damn. Hope he recovers.

janice6, TBO, Joe! and 2 others like this.

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I hate to hear this.

I hope it turns around and he is able to save it.

AdamRodgers, Bruce M, janice6 and 6 others like this.
  4. powernoodle

powernoodle

You should only wear eye protection when you are not expecting an eye injury, because virtually all injuries occur when you are not expecting it. This maxim applies to other areas of life, like carrying a gun. If you were expecting to need a gun, you would not be there in the first place. So the only time you should carry is when you aren't expecting to need a gun, which is always.

Caver 60, OldDad, rogn and 3 others like this.
  5. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I like these kinds of thoughts.

They say 75% of car accidents happen within 25 miles of your home where you drive 90% if your miles!

So it's safer, fat away.

I saw an ad at school that says kids in band have higher test scores. I'm thinking no chit, a kid in band has a parent to pay for band and said parent can also be around for proper upbringing thus, higher test scores.

railfancwb, FullClip and orangejeep06 like this.
  6. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The older I get, the more I tend to wear some type of glasses when working with any kind of machine. I've never had corrected vision (other than reading glasses now) and I'm not really into glasses in general, but it really just makes sense.

FullClip, janice6 and orangejeep06 like this.
  7. 4 glocks

4 glocks

I hope he gets better soon.
    I have worn glasses most of my life. They have kept debris out of my eyes many times during my life.

flyover, FullClip and janice6 like this.
  8. diggy485

diggy485

That’s awful for that dude, but that’s why we wear ppe.

janice6 likes this.
  9. billorights

billorights

Anything under pressure should be respected. I had a friend that grabbed a hydraulic line on his tractor and got a shot of fluid in his arm. Very bad.

10. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    One reason I don't get lasix is that I would wear glasses anyway. I value my eyes.

11. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

I've had my eye protection save my sight 3 times in my 20 years as a machinist. The first time was 19 years ago, a 6" grinding wheel exploded and a chunk hit my glasses, breaking them and knocking them off,my face. I would have been been blinded for sure. If I didn't have glasses on, I would have spent nearly the last 2 decades living in the dark. Everyone, please wear your protective equipment!

12. chandne

chandne

Holy moly! Sorry to hear this and thanks for posting. I mess around with compressed air for my Jeep tires and testing the deflators. Starting to realize it is pretty dangerous if careless. Hopefully your friend is fine after this but a serious loss for him. Feel bad.

janice6 likes this.
  13. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

This cannot be repeated enough times.

Ross-in-Pa, Jay S., janice6 and 2 others like this.
  14. janice6

janice6

I will echo all the cautions expressed here!

I did car repair and restoration/custom work for years as a hobby. All sorts of power and air tools. You only get one chance, pray that you are wearing a mask or goggles then.

Caver 60, sombunya and FullClip like this.
  15. benben

benben

My dad, rest his soul has told me this story probably ~20 times. When he was in high school he would work after school at his mom’s mill, he said these two guys were always doing something to each other, he said one of the guys stuck an air nozzle to the other guys rear end......and it killed him!!

I used to always tell him he was BS’ing me, my grandmother told me it was true. As a kid in my dad’s garage, me and whatever buddy was in there, if we started playing with the air, he’d snatch it away, tell me the story, and either tell me to get out, or go back to work. He said the guy who killed his buddy was really messed him up mentally, he never said if the guy served any time?

Caver 60 likes this.
  16. rogn

rogn real dogs

Years ago I supported my family as a vehicle mechanic. I used to hate any kind of eyewear until I started wearing glasses and found out how much crap the glasses kept out of my eyes. It really was incredible and since wearing them I think they have save me serious injury on more than one occasion-stuff bouncing off of them. Wear the protection eyes really are delicate and they cant transplant them!

Caver 60 likes this.
  17. John43

John43

Thrre was a post somewhere recently where someone was killed with a blast of air as a joke.

Caver 60 likes this.
  18. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  19. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Company I worked for an many others across the board will write you up for using compressed air for drying off your wet hands or dirt from clothing.

FullClip likes this.
  20. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Yup, sometimes bad things happen in less time than a blink of an eye. Have a friend who's wicked good finish carpenter / cabinet maker. He now has a glass eye because the last cut of the day on his table saw threw a splinter.
    I wear glasses and they've caught a lot of stuff. When working with the brush saw, grinder, chain saw or such, I put one the goofy side shield ones, just to be sure.

I'd much rather lose my vision in the manner my Dad warned me about. 60 years and still pushing that envalope.....:dancingbanana:

AdamRodgers and Pteridine like this.