Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused.

When perusing BCM's site, looking specifically at their 14.5" mid-length uppers, if you chose a standard A2 birdcage they say the upper becomes and NFA item. The other, longer muzzle devices are not listed as NFA items.

Does that mean that it's then considered and SBR upper? If so, why wouldn't BCM make the barrel just a hair more longer to avoid the NFA mess, while using an A2, which works very well?

·
Milspectacular
999 Posts
A standard A2 flash hider, permanently attached will not bring a 14.5" barrel over 16". Non NFA longarms require a barrel of 16" or greater. You can permanently attach a muzzle device to a barrel under 16" making it 16" while being in accordance to NFA laws. If you want a standard A2 flash hider on a 14.5" barrel, you would have to have a registered SBR or an AR pistol.

However some companies like CMMG make 14.7" barrels, that a standard A2 flash hider permanently attached will bring the barrel over 16".

·
Who?
7,957 Posts
I'm confused.

When perusing BCM's site, looking specifically at their 14.5" mid-length uppers, if you chose a standard A2 birdcage they say the upper becomes and NFA item. The other, longer muzzle devices are not listed as NFA items.

Does that mean that it's then considered and SBR upper? If so, why wouldn't BCM make the barrel just a hair more longer to avoid the NFA mess, while using an A2, which works very well?

The upper itself isn't considered anything. Using a 14.5" barreled upper on a non-SBR/pistol lower is a federal felony.

As someone else mentioned, the A2X is an A2 flash hider stretched out a bit to make 14.5" barrels 16" long when permanently attached.

BCM doesn't make the barrels longer because they offer the A2X instead.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
...aaaaand the reason we have 14.5" is because the "M4" was developed by the USMC to replace the "M3" in Recon detachments. They wanted 14.5" so they could mount their bayonets. :upeyes:

These were also guns with A2 receivers and no '203 cuts.

The M4 barrel profile as we know it came about as result of an FMS case to the United Arab Emirates. The 1913 railed upper came about during the XM4 days.

·
Registered
32,945 Posts
It is because they don't want to have to make a 14.5 and a 14.7 barrel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts