Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have one? I really like the little bit I’ve read on them. Seems like they are super high quality and people say 11.5” is a nice length for a pistol AR. What barrel though? Gov profile or lightweight?

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
On an AR pistol, I would prefer a Gov't profile to help dissipate heat better.

·
Semper Paratus
28,713 Posts
BCM is OK don't see anything useful with a 5.56 and a 11.5 inch barrel for most people , unless you are dedicated to kicking doors for a living a 14.5 is a much better option.
in a SBR or Pistol (wink Wink) 300 BO all day long .

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I plan on kicking doors in once I get it. I’m leaning towards heavier barrel, but some say the 5oz. Weight savings is nice on the lightweight barrel version. I would think it would beat up quicker though with mag dumps and then maybe POI would shift? Then again, I can’t see BCM putting anything out that’s not GTG based on my research.

·
AAAMAD
32,722 Posts
BCM is OK don't see anything useful with a 5.56 and a 11.5 inch barrel for most people , unless you are dedicated to kicking doors for a living a 14.5 is a much better option.
in a SBR or Pistol (wink Wink) 300 BO all day long .
At first reading, I was pretty much in line with your thoughts. But the more I think about it, the more I’m apt to lean the other way.

Realistically, most civilian uses of the AR are going to be target shooting, fun shooting, and self defense.

For fun shooting, and virtually any SD scenario a regular civilian realistically experiences, an 11.5 5.56 is about the perfect balance of all the attributes I think I’d want. Now granted I’d want a SBR, which entails certain paperwork and legality restraints in some states.

Yeah, the 11.5 is only really useful out to about 100m. But aside from SHTF preps/fantasy, how many realistic uses do we have for 5.56 outside 100m in non mil/police scenarios? And for those scenarios, hunting/target shooting/mil/police guns sure, grab a longer barrel.

As a police officer, and myself as a mil guy, we both think of the SBR’s as a niche weapon, but what is a more niche role than the extremely limited pretty much SD only use of a civilian defensive long gun?

Ive cleared houses with 10.5’s (shoot houses), 14.5’s and 20’ rifles(Iraq). I know you have as well. I would bet that if you knew you were only clearing houses, you’d probably opt for a short rifle as well? I get why a general use beat cop or soldier would want a GP rifle of 14.5 in, when you don’t know if your shooting across a back yard, from behind a car at a hotel window etc.

TLDR version; I suggest the civilian defensive uses of an AR are more inline with a door kicker, than that of a soldier or beat cop who sees more utility out of a longer barrel. Though I do agree with the preference of a different caliber.

·
Anti-Federalist
22,417 Posts
Isn’t 11.5 ballistically far superior to the 10.5? It’s a lot more reliable too. I think that’s why BCM said they do 11.5.
Far superior and reliable? Not in anything I've ever built or shot. Defensively? Nope, not there either. I'd say defensive ranges for the vast majority are less than 100M. Usually much less. If you have an AR that doesn't work, that's a build problem, not a barrel length problem.

·
Registered
32,004 Posts
Isn’t 11.5 ballistically far superior to the 10.5? It’s a lot more reliable too. I think that’s why BCM said they do 11.5.
1" isn't going to make much differently ballistically, especially at closer distances. It's really more about reliability and dwell time, though I think a properly set up 10.5" works fine.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It appears there is some disagreement in terms of barrel length. I am gathering though that the lightweight barrel is plenty good for most people. Anyone prefer the government profile over the LW profile? Why or why not?

·
Anti-Federalist
22,417 Posts
It appears there is some disagreement in terms of barrel length. I am gathering though that the lightweight barrel is plenty good for most people. Anyone prefer the government profile over the LW profile? Why or why not?
Heavy weight barrels are good for heat dissipation from sustained high rates of fire. Does that sound like the shooting you will be doing? If so go for the heavy barrel. If not...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts