BCM pistol vs DD V7P

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by OdinIII, Sep 30, 2020.

1. OdinIII

OdinIII

I’m wanting to try an AR pistol and I’m looking at these two options. I have a BCM 16” rifle with the Mod 0 compensator and A5 system and really like it when compared to the A2. That alone seems to point me toward the BCM but I really like the Milspec+ and the Law folder option on the DD.

Any comments on pros or cons of each option or is there something else I should be considering?

2. dkf

dkf

I'd go for the BCM. You are not getting any quality improvement with the DD over the BCM and the BCM is less money. If you want a folder down the road, they are easy to install. If you are getting it in 5.56 and are concerned with maintaining velocity I would recommend an 11.5" barrel. A 12.5" is even better.

Sherlock913, cbetts1 and OdinIII like this.

3. OdinIII

OdinIII

Thanks, I’m definitely staying with 5.56.

4. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Yes, there is something else you should consider: LWRC DI Model. A lot cheaper than their piston guns.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The next problem is finding whatever you decide on!

NewWaveGuy and cbetts1 like this.
  6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

7. OdinIII

OdinIII

Interesting! Two LWRC recommendations. My LGS likes those also.

8. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

of course LMT is the true pimp.

9. Biggy1

Biggy1

IMHO, DD barrels will easily out shoot BCM barrels.

10. OdinIII

OdinIII

I’ve went down the rabbit hole again. Looking at LWRC rifles found me looking at a FB post with Lucas Botkin’s meme about people with too many rifles and not enough “kit”. I’ve spent the last few hours trying to figure out how much it would cost to get a helmet, single PVS14, mount, helmet compatible ear pro and IR light and laser source for one of my rifles. Lordy, this stuff is expensive. I’ve got a couple quality 16” rifles. I’m thinking now that this may be a smarter use of the money than a pistol version of what I already have.

I guess I started thread this so I can drift it!

11. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Having a bunch of guns for toys is one thing. Dressing up like a commando is what we old GIs used to call those types: wannabes.

12. OdinIII

OdinIII

I’m old and bald but never a GI. I do think it’d be cool to have the ability to see deer, hogs and coyotes at night around my house without a white light.

13. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Sure. But you don’t need a tactical vest and a helmet.

14. OdinIII

OdinIII

I agree on the vest.

I’m assuming you have night vision experience? It seems that one helmet mounted Monocular is the minimum setup. A rifle mounted night scope would be cool also but that seems so much more limiting for general use.

I’m still learning what is possible. I’m assuming with a helmet mounted system that I could use a NV capable red dot sight mounted on top of my 1-5 power day scope? I wonder how accurate you could be on coyotes with just the laser?

15. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

My last NVG experience was in 1992. Back then we used either the ANPVS-5 or ANPVS-7. The PVS-7 needed to be mounted on the Kevlar helmet. The PVS-5 has its own head straps that you can wear like a set of goggles.

I’m sorry but I just have to laugh every time I see videos of guys geared up like they’re storming Baghdad just for feral hog hunting.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  16. OdinIII

OdinIII

I wouldn’t blame you for laughing. We only get one go around on this earth. NVG and an AR pistol for that matter are two things I have no experience with that interest me and hopefully I will get to play with both during my time here.

17. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I'll keep my vest and my NVGs. If you have a firearm for defense it would stand to reason a vest would be a good idea as well. Being able to lay down accurate fire at night is a hoot and I can still do it. But I'm just an old Vet so what do I know. Just a wannabe I suppose.

18. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

The more common set up is an IR laser device. Clip on night sights may be fine for hunting but you don't want to be pointing your rifle at everything you want to look at in the dark.

If you want to use your red dot optic it will need to have an NVG level setting or you'll end up damaging your tube.

OdinIII likes this.
  19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Lasers work well inside 100 yards, but your not making precision shots on moving animals with a laser.

Mounting a red dot on your scope and then seeing through it with a helmet mounted goggle or monocle is going to be tough. Typically passive aiming is only accomplished by running a red dot, in an extra tall NVG height mount. Even when doing that, I have the best luck with an Eotech sight. I can get behind my aimpoint but it takes much more work.

For night shooting, a dedicated NVG scope or clip on are the most common. Used to see PVS-14’s mounted behind optics, but that fad has largely passed. And that’s what Syntax is referencing. With the red dot constantly in the view of the night vision it would burn into the tube fairly quickly if you didn’t have an NVG power setting.

If you’re just scanning and very occasionally looking down the sights for a few moments at a time it’s possible, but much less of an issue.

OdinIII and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  20. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Well, you convinced me.

Let me see if I can dig through my TA-50 to find my old chicken plate and brain bucket.