close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BCM build

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by zukyota, Mar 21, 2010.

1. zukyota

zukyota

I'm going to build a BCM rifle & need advice. Should i go carbine length or mid length ? Any pics of yours ? What twist rate should i get ? I have a bunch of 55gr 223 rounds, can i shoot them out of any twist rate barrels ? I want to spend between $1000- 1300, any advice, pics & links are aooreciated.

2. deadmonkey90

deadmonkey90 Pro Bass Angler

55gr likes 1/9 twist, good luck with your build.
    I favor 18in barrel when it comes to ar's

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010

3. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

Personal preference. Mid-length is considered "superior" but both function flawlessly.

Check the giant pictures thread up top.

With BCM you have your choice of 1/7 with most barrels, 1/8 with their SS barrels. You're probably going to want/get a 1/7.

I shoot low power 55gr rounds all the time, no issues.

Links? Go to BCM's website. You'll probably need to get the lower at G&R Tactical or Global Tactical. If it's your first AR I'd keep it simple, something like this or this with the BCM bolt carrier group and charging handle included. If you want to spend a little more money go ahead and get a quad rail pre-installed but it's not necessary (I don't have a rail on any of my ARs).

Get a BCM complete lower receiver from Denny's (Global Tactical) or G&R, it'll run around $350. You'll need some handguards, I'd get a set of the Cavalry Arms C6 or C8 handguards. Then you'll just need the rear sight of your choice (carry handle, fixed, flip up, etc), a few mags and you're good to go!

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

While theoretically a 1:9 twist would be better for shooting only 55 grain bullets, my experience is that a 1:7 twist shoots 55 grain bullets just as well and is a much better choice because it allows the use of heavier match grade bullets. Insist on a chrome lined barrel, for better corrosion resistance, durability, and reliability. Mid length is the right choice. The carbine gas system was originally designed for 11.5" barrels, The mid lenght systems is better for 14.5"-16" barrels.

Beyond your specific questions, I'd suggest an A3 (flattop) upper reciever and a flip up front and rear sight. This will give you maximum versatility, and doesn't cost that much more.

5. loki993

loki993

My biggest question with BCM would be hammer forged or not. Is the extra for the Hammer forged worth it?

6. djegators

djegators

Its only a hundred bucks more the hammer forged barrel. 99.9% chance that you will not shoot enough to wear out a standard barrel, but for a measly hundred bucks, why not get a barrel that will last twice as long?

As for the OP's questions:

Personally, I see no reason not to get a mid length in a 16" barrel, a few pros, not any cons really.

Go ahead and get the 1/7 twist..it won't hurt you with 55gr, but helps you with other ammo.

Have you decided on a rail system? Or do you want plain handguards?

BCM complete lower: $350
    BCM BHF Mid Upper: $525
    BCM BCG/CH: $145
    Plastic hand guards: $20

TOTAL: $1040

Just go to bravo company's website, and browse through their numerous uppers options.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

It's really a judgment call on your part. Is a bit more money acceptable for a bit longer barrel life? I would spend the money, but it's up to you.

8. internal

internal

I personally wouldn't buy a 16" Ar15 with a carbine length gas system this day and age.

It's not that a 16" w/ carbine length gas system won't work, I have one that is flawless. The point is that is mid-length is proportional to the 16" barrel and there's alot of options nowadays in the mid-length flavor so it just seems natural to stay away from 16" in a carbine length gas system.

9. Norcal911

Norcal911

No reason not to go mid length. Chrome lined is fine, I prefer SS. I've found a little bit more precision in them although its probably more in my head than on paper as hundredths of an inch from an AR are probably not practically measuable based on all of the variables. I believe most bench rest guys use SS leading me to believe they shoot at least a little better. I carry a rifle daily but I'm not going to the sandbox so maintenance is not an issue. Maybe chrome lined is better when you have to pay more attention to fields of fire than cleaning. BCM 1:8 is about the perfect compromise for shooting 55-70 grain rounds well. If you wanted to go way heavy, probably 1:7 would be better but then you may be talking about rounds that are too long for a magazine-Norcal911