close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bbq/smoker help needed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gjk5, Apr 27, 2012.

1. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I smoke brisket and pork butts all the time, but I get them whole in a "packer" and trim them out myself. I bought a half of an Angus beef a couple months ago and have never had one. I am going to cook the brisket, short ribs, back ribs (and something callled a "Pikes Peak Roast") on Saturday.

My problem is the brisket is LEAN, I usually leave a 1/4"ish fatcap on them, there is NONE (but better marbling than I have ever seen on a brisket). I can tell the processor to leave it fat next time, but for this one am I OK with my normal packer routine?

It's also only about 1/2 the size of a packer, but I can probably figure out timing.

2. failsafe

failsafe

A Pikes Peak roast is a Rump roast, very little fat..I have never tried slow smoking one as I would think they would be dry due to the lack of fat..Might try a pan of water in the smoker..

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Lay some bacon down on it until it hits 165 internal, then wrap in double foil or a foil pan, put in some stock, beer or mop sauce and keep it there until 195. After it's done, make sure you give it at least a half hour, sealed in a cooler with towels on top to take up the extra air space. Should be good to go. I hate when the fat cap is gone.

4. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I see I need to widen the types of meats I smoke and grill. Now all I do are the easy stuff-bacon, ribs, chops, fish & burgers.

I still remember GreenDrake's photo of that stuffed pork wrapped in bacon!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I'd take all the beef to 195, cube it, sauce it, drop it in a foil pan and smoke at 225 for another two hours...make a massive batch of burnt ends. I do it all the time with whole packers and flats alike. Gets more yield from the entire cut.

6. vafish

vafish

If it has good marbling you should be fine.

I'd foil it after about 3-4 hours in the smoke.

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

OP: This man, he should be listened to

8. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

thanks for the advice. I always carry a brisket over wrapped and coolered anyway, sometimes even halfway through if the temp stalls and then back on the smoke.

Sauce is not an option for me on brisket, I'm already going to hell but that may get me a special ticket.

I was going to just get smoke on the roast and try and get it med rare (and maybe finish out the temp in the oven) and slice it up for sammich meat on the deli slicer.

I don't typically use a water pan for beef (and it's a New Braunfels smoker so not made for it) but I will put a pan in there with some water and mop mix

9. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Needs to be repeated.

10. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat

X 3. Spot-on info.

11. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

The temp stall is the critical point. That is when the collagen breakdown is happening. the stall happens because the collagen gel is liquefied and is cooling the meat a bit, that is the window of love happening. I always give big cuts an extra few hours at the end of a cook cycle in case they take longer or finish on time, you can cooler them and they won't lose a lick of temp. Make sure if you cooler after done temp, you let them vent for about 20 minutes to keep them from continuing to cook off.

I am looking at three beautiful bone in butts on my counter, letting the rub sweat in right now. Can't wait to fire off the smoker and get these babies rolling.

12. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

13. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I got the stall covered, I will just add the water pan and mop more often and hope the good marbling covers me....

and if it were pork I would throw some bacon all day, but I am trying to go for pure beef flavor here and edumecate some of these Colorado folk on beef BBQ.

14. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Well....

it all worked out great. I but in the bath, mopped generously and watched closely. The roast was good (but a little more done than I was shooting for) and about med well with a great smoke flavor. The ribs were killer and the brisket was one of the better ones I've made.

I smoke it for about 8-9 hours and then wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven @ 200 until everything else was done. It was nice and tender, no greasiness and maybe the best, most uniform smoke ring I have had.

I will put up pics later.