close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battlefield 1942

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by Tvov, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Tvov

Tvov

Just picked up the "Battlefield 1942 World War II Anthology", which includes BF1942, The Road to Rome, Secret Weapons of WWII, and a Map editor and mod program. Do to a mis-marked case, I got it for 1/2 price (whooho!). We are having fun with it. The game seems a bit "simpler" than, say, MOH, but is fun. Definitely seems geared towards online play (the clerk at the store mentioned this), but the single player is fun. The game seems to take forever to load new scenarios.

Just curious about what others think about this game, and any experiences with the map editor.

2. Gary_P

Gary_P

make sure you have at least 512megs of ram or you will lag like an overworked hooker online.

Gary

3. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Get the Desert Combat mod.

4. tgtshuter

tgtshuter Too Beaucoup

Yes! The DC (Desert Combat) mod is great. You'll find a bunch of mods available to download, but playing BF 42 is great and the DC mod is a modern version.

This game is definitely made for on-line play. This is where it shines!

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

The "Pirates" mod is also hilariously funny to play. Online combat with muskets and swords and cannons. Avast! :)

6. Tvov

Tvov

Excellent! Looks like I made a good purchase.

Also it looks like I do have to increase RAM (I have 256 right now), I am getting delays just with single player.

7. Tvov

Tvov

Update on BF1942 (I know you all have been waiting for it...).

Much fun so far. Played through the campaign on "normal" settings.

A couple questions about online play;

Servers - Wow! I'm not used to hundreds of servers available. What's up with the "ping" rate? When I go online with Halo, I can routinely get 10-20 servers available with ping rates below 100 (I have basic DSL). With BF, usually there is only 1 or 2 servers below 100, then hundreds going from 200 on up to 1000 or more. Just seems odd to me.

Airplanes! Tough to fly. Not just me, I went to a couple forums and I guess the mouse is difficult to use with the planes. Joystick is the way to go. Online, I was amazed at how well people flew, and strafed/bombed me.

AIbots. Pretty cool to be able to fill out a game with them. Interesting to run into the "real" people, they actually fire back accurately (!).

"Punkbuster" WHAT is that?? I had to enable it to play most games. I have no idea what it is, though.

8. chevrofreak

Punkbuster is an anti-cheat protocol or something.

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Exactly right.

PB monitors the data streams from the players for anomalies and aims to detect which of the players have autoaimers or extra speed/life/ammo tweaks plugged into their copy of the game.

AA:SF uses it, too, and it would be a good idea; only problem is, it can and does result in people getting banned due to "False Positives", so consider yourself warned!

Sort of like a "Whizz Quiz" for your online player character, to see if he's on steroids or not.

And FWIW, from what I have seen, though there is usually a program with arbitors set up to help let the "Wrongly Accused" play again, they almost never do. It is just too hard to prove that you didn't do something so on most servers if they ban you, you'll probably stay banned for life.

10. Tvov

Tvov

Just bringing this back because I was wondering if anyone has used Battlecraft1942, the map maker/editor.

I have been trying to use it, it is a pain. I have gone to the Battlecraft forums, and they are just filled with questions and complaints about the program.

First, when I made a map and tried to play it, the game would just shut down. I did what the BC forums said, downloaded a program and moved a couple files around, and changed some things. I got the map to work, but it opened in a window. And when I played the regular Battlefield1942 game, it no longer was full screen. I went back again, and figured out how to go into the file system and change the "fullscreenmode" from 0 to 1. Now, the game opens in full screen again, but the maps I made no longer work again!

:soap: :soap:

I am going to go back and see if I can figure anything else out, but GRRRR!

(thanks for letting me vent)

11. AnthonyA7

AnthonyA7

DC is awesome in theory, but a bunch of jerks are usually on there (at least in my experience). It can take a half hour to find a good server to play.

12. Tvov

Tvov

Finally got back online with BF1942. The last month or so when I tried to go online play, it came up with "wrong version". After a couple downloads and cursing, I finally got it right. It needed patch 1.6 or 1.06.

This "patching" stuff with games (well, with anything computer related!) is ridiculous.

Just played "Gazala" yesterday on the "Calvary" server (something like that). One guy, "clinton", was an absolute whiz flying the Focke-Wolfe dive bomber. He took me and my Sherman out many times. Fun!

13. -=DFOX=-

-=DFOX=- Border Bandit

I second the DC mod, Dontcamp.com and Over the hill are two good servers who try and keep the losers out. FLying is all about practice, wait till you try DC and jump in the Apache, makes flying planes look easy. Keep your eyes open for Battlefield 2 in March, just like DC but suppossed to be better.

Look for me, Im IRON FOX usually on those two servers.

14. tgtshuter

tgtshuter Too Beaucoup

I still can't fly the 'copters!!!!:(

It's so frustrating...whether it's in DC or BF:V, I can't fly them! Too bad too, 'cause it's a great skill to have, especially in BF:V.

I do okay with fixed wing, but I've about given up on helicopters!!

15. chevrofreak

I was frustrated as hell at the choppers in DC, so I just started stabbing the keys... Hmmmmmm, that actually made the chopper do something... You have to constantly use the left and right buttons (A and D standard) to adjust the rear rotor speed, which controls the helicopters rotation.

I'm an excellent pilot now.

16. -=DFOX=-

-=DFOX=- Border Bandit

I highly recomend getting a joystick similiar to a Playstation, the small control sticks work great for choppers, I have no problem flying under bridges or skimming over the ground real low. Alot of fun.

17. Tvov

Tvov

Whooho! Got my new stick of 256ram a couple of weeks ago, to bring my PC up to 512ram. What a difference! Little to no lag, and the games/maps now load within a reasonable amount of time. Also, not sure why, but the game shuts down quicker now too. Previously, the game literally took close to a minute to shut down. That was annoying.

The Secret Weapons expansion pack was lagging incredibly even on just single player, now it is great.

My son found the "Raid on Agheila" multiplayer map (secret weapons), it is great. I would love to play it, but it is not available with "co-op", and I never see it online. Oh well.

18. chevrofreak

To close the game the quickest way press Alt F4 and it will be closed in a matter of seconds. Dont bother pressing escape and clicking quit or any of that.

19. -=DFOX=-

-=DFOX=- Border Bandit

I was running 7** of ram and it ran good, My new system is at 1 GB, big difference, maps load in about 15-20 seconds, good stuff.

20. Tvov

Tvov

Didn't know that. Does that work with other games? I know when I play Halo1, and someone is being a jerk online, other people tell him to "press Alt F4 for cooler weapons", now I think I know why.

Thanks