Battery powered chainsaw or Electric ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Daniyal Berry, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Daniyal Berry

Daniyal Berry

Hi I need to buy a chainsaw for my home yard tasks, is there anyone who have experienced working with battery powered chainsaw?

2. oldengineer

oldengineer

I have a Ryobi 18 volt that I don't use because it isn't powerful enough to cut through anything but small branches, like an inch or so, and it bogs down to the point where it is shredding more than cutting. They're a waste of money IMO.

Stihl makes a couple of nice small models that have an easy start option. I have one, an MS180C and I really like it.

3. bdicki

bdicki

4. JJY

JJY

A battery powered chain saw seems like a lesson in frustration. Since you are asking about battery power, I would assume the task at hand is relatively small. Would a sawzall with a pruning blade get the job done?

flyover, treg and dudel like this.
  5. porschedog

porschedog

Battery powered equipment is notorious if not having enough powe to get the job one and/or running out of power halfway thoughtbe job. Power cords are either too short (usually by about a foot rom where you need to be) or they get tangled. I have a 50' extension cord on a reel that works most if the time, but my electric chainsaw (it was a gift) has less power than a geriatric hamster. I got a Stihl and run it with Star Tron in the gas so it starts every time. Guy at the hardware store was right about the blue stuff.
    As noted above, easy start (smaller) chainsaws might be a better option.

6. K. Foster

K. Foster

They’re under powered and the batteries don’t last. Get a gas saw. In the long run, you’ll thank us.

treg likes this.
  7. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

When it comes to outside chores, gas all the way. Electrics just don't have the same power, and it can get annoying dealing with cords being too short, getting tangled, getting ran over, coming out of the socket, etc. I wouldn't even consider a battery-ANYTHING for outside.

And a battery-powered chainsaw IS electric. :honkie: Welcome!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  8. 19trax95

19trax95

I have a couple gas saws. My neighbor had a corded and cordless electric saw. I used his cordless one once time when I was helping him trim a tree that blew down. It was almost faster to use a hand saw.

It just did not have the power to get through anything over like a 4" branch.

My saws are older. I have a stihl 039 and an echo (don't recall the model) limbing saw. The stihl I put a 28" bar on and the echo I put a 16" on.

Both are well over 12 years old and still run great. All I do is regular maintenance which isn't much. Sharpen the chains and new air filter and spark plug is about all they've gotten.

treg likes this.
  9. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

This...
    My sawzall with the pruning blade has been used to trim trees for years. Pin Oak branches 4-6 in or better cut like butter...I also can trim shrubs and smaller stuff where a chainsaw is useless. Another benefit to a reciprocating saw is the variety of attachments and other uses for it. A chain saw is just a chain saw...

treg, dudel and Dragline like this.
  10. bdicki

bdicki

What would you use for a 12-16 inch branch?

11. kaisooba

kaisooba

Gas or buy a good hand rip saw! When I was a Kid dad had a very good selection of hand saws, guess who got to run them... Worked great and put some big guns on you also.

treg likes this.
  12. selogic

selogic

Work smart , not hard .

13. techiej

techiej

I would only use an electric - not battery - for light pruning...use one on a pole saw as I can't handle the vibration of a gas prune saw (used one for years) any more. Otherwise, use gas or get used to getting frustrated.

14. cbetts1

cbetts1

Stihl MSA160c cordless. Look up reviews on YouTube. Great for small jobs and trimming. You can cut larger limbs but it takes time. Chain bar is short. You can get other tools that use same battery.

Pros: don't have fuel issues. Sharpen chain is only maintenance.

Cons: price. 14" bar limits size of log. Cost of replacement batteries.

15. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I don't have a 12 to 16 in branch, and I don't believe the original poster does either...most people choosing between battery or plug in electric chain saws aren't dealing with 12 to 16 in branches.

If I did, I would select the proper gas chainsaw and move on...electric and battery need not apply.

But if I needed to infrequently trim 3-4-6 in limbs a recip saw is a good alternative and allows for other uses when not infrequently trimming small limbs. It is more versatile than a chainsaw unless you are into ice carving.

dudel likes this.
  16. Jay S.

Jay S.

[​IMG]

vikingsoftpaw and Sk8r like this.
  17. bdicki

bdicki

That'll work. Don't want to sharpen it.

Sk8r and Jay S. like this.
  18. bdicki

bdicki

I have a couple of sawzalls but I don't use them for cutting trees or branches. (tried that) I have a 4 chain saws that I use to cut branches, brush, and trees with. To each his own.

19. nimrag

nimrag

I have an echo, 16" gas powered chain saw. My 82 year old mother, bought an echo, 16" battery powered chain saw. It has a brushless motor and 58 volt battery. She doesn't have the strength to start my gas powered saw, so the battery powered works well for her.

I was skeptical about it, but I have good luck with echo, over the years. It doesn't rev as high as the gas powered saw, but it has good torque. The battery last as long as a tank of gas. They both weigh about the same. I have cut down several shag juniper tress and I was impressed with the performance. Their trunks where 10-12" in diameter.

cbetts1 likes this.
  20. norton

norton

I use one of these for light trimming of the trees around my yard.
    Black-Decker-Alligator-Lopper-Electric-Chain-Saw.jpg

Problem with a gas powered chain saw, its one of those tools most homeowners only use a couple of times a year. So after you have had it a few years, eventually it won't start or won't run without choke. Then you either clean the fuel delivery system yourself or take it to someone and of course it never runs right again.
    I do notice the pro's in my area use those chain saws on extension poles to do a lot of the light trimming work.