close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery life

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by smile_at_u90012, Feb 10, 2007.

1. smile_at_u90012

smile_at_u90012

Hi, is it true the battery will lose it's charge after few years of use? I checked and found out the Nicd and Nimh both last longer but they only offer batteries for cell and cordless phone,the kind with wires and a plug in, thanks in advance.

Oh ,this is it,,,my last attempt of my evaluation of my batteries lives was a disaster,it only lasted 30 seconds before it went dead..i am buying a new one,thanks again.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I am not sure I understood exactly what you were saying, but NiMH certainly do not last years. Most last a few months at best. They discharge spontaneously. It is only recently that a few manufacturers started making longer lasting NiMH. Still, they are a far superior alternative to alkaline batteries for photo use. Where most alkalines will discharge very quickly, NiMH will host charge for hundreds of photos.

I also don't understand when you got the info that NiMH are only for cell and cordless phones. Every Target and Walmart has shelves of NiMH AA batteries. My local Target has quads of 2500mAh Energizer AAs for $9.95.

Many cameras these days also use rechargeable lithium batteries. Those are usually the most expensive and sell in custom shapes to prevent generics from being easily available (yet they are available if you search online). Rechargeable lithiums usually have the best life and do not readily discharge without use (but at a price). Some camera makers use such sneaky methods as identifier chips within their own batteries. Camera will then refuse to work with generics. Of course the explanation they give you is, "it's for your safety". Riiiiiight.

As far as I know no one uses Nicads anymore, except perhaps for old-style flashlights. Nicads suffer terribly from battery memory, and their capacity does not match NiMH.

3. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I have found that the $9.95/4 rechargable lithiums are awesome. They last 3-4 times as long as any other battery in my sb600 or my daughters Canon A520.

4. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

If you are talking about the energizer Lithium AA's they aren't rechargable. They do however outlast standard AA batteries by a longshot. I've used NiMH AA and AAA rechargables for everything and some are a couple years old now and I see no degradation of performance. The LiIon batteries in my cell phone seem to be good for about 2 years before performance suffers, the batteries in my Canon digital Elph went 3-4 years before they started to suck. I'd personally go with NiMH since it seems to be the most durable out there (and is probably why the Canon 1D series uses them).

5. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I'm just plain cornfoozed... :headscratch:

6. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

These are not throw away, they are rechargable. They are 2500mha rechargables and they are 4 for 9.95 at my walmart.

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

ponykilr, are you sure those are not NiMH? $9.95 is what I pay for a pack of 4 Energizer 2500 mHa NiMH at Target. I've never seen rechargeable lithiums that cheap.

8. Litespeed_67

Litespeed_67 LnL operator

That was why I asked as well. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a Lithium rechargeable in AA/AAA sizes.

9. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I just went and grabbed them, they are NI-MH...sorry, I could have sworn they said lithium.
    another BLONDE/BLOND moment I guess.:sad: