Battery "Jump"starter

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DAKA, Sep 18, 2019.

1. illrooster132

illrooster132

good for you . I'm a professional mechanic . been doin this for 25 years I think I know a little about this . by the way not all are made the same . yours could a be a top of the line . I don't know . the ones I use from mac , matco and snap on . cannot do it.

-JCN- likes this.
  2. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

I actually jumped a totally dead 8 cylinder caddy last week. And I'm talking about dead. No idiot lights when you turned the key, dead. I got mine at wally world for $50 or so last year.

The only problem is where to store it when you aren't using it. You can't just leave it in a car down here in Florida during the summer months, way too hot.

-JCN- likes this.

3. RenoF250

RenoF250

Cigarette lighters are limited to ~10A which is nowhere near enough to start a car. If you had a mildly dead battery you could plug it in for 15 minutes and maybe get somewhere but if it was very dead you would blow the fuse unless they have a current limited output.

Caver 60 and larry_minn like this.
  4. RenoF250

RenoF250

So maybe you look at buying a GB70 instead of trying to be offended??

5. PatinAz

PatinAz

Technology has advanced a lot in 25 years. I got my GB70 on Amazon for $200. They come in smaller and larger configurations.

6. The Hawk

The Hawk

I bought one a few years ago. Kept it charged periodically. Went to take it on a trip last week and tried to charge it. It would not charge, but kept beeping. Manual states when that happens, it is dead. I will not buy another one.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Every vehicle I have had warns me that the battery is getting weak. Wimpy starts, hesitation during start.... So I know I need a new battery soon. @$120 good for yrs...
    Unless it's a bad connection.
    So why buy these things?
    I have charged thru cigerrette lighter. Slow with battery charger. ( winter, hood frozen down, outside...). Set on 10a overnight, engine plugged in. Started line summer.
    Dome light had been left on. I was amazed battery had not froze

Caver 60 likes this.
  8. selogic

selogic

I don't remember the brand name , but we used one at work that would jump a completely dead vehicle . There are some out there that will do it .

9. Z71bill

Z71bill

My daughter's Santa Fe has a 12 volt 180 watt rated outlet - says it right on the cover -- not 100% sure but think that is 15 amps -

Anyway I think you are right - that set up - even if it is 15 amps isn't enough to do a true jump start like you do with a battery box or with another vehicle - but it does give the dead battery a little charge -

IIRC it said hook it up to the DC plug and wait 15 minutes -

My thought was better than nothing - and if it didn't work - you could also try the direct hook up -

Caver 60 likes this.
  10. illrooster132

illrooster132

not offended . just sharing my experience. the ones we use here are rated at 900 cc amps. like I said if it works for you good. op asked for opinions and experience with some of those I shared mine. end of story take it for what it is.

11. Z71bill

Z71bill

Six weeks ago the battery in my wife's RDX went from no issue to totally dead -

It gave us 1 slow start between what seemed like normal start up - to that sounded funny - to the battery was totally dead - the dome light would barely light up.

Battery was only 35 months old -

Acura warranty is full replacement out to 36 months - then prorated --

I was happy it died when it did - should be good for another 3 or 4 years.

I have always had poor service from the original battery in about every new vehicle I have ever purchased.

PatinAz likes this.
  12. PatinAz

PatinAz

That's the same experience with me. Arizona is hard on batteries. The battery in my truck was barely turning 3 years old this year. I had planned on replacing it before the summer but I procrastinated as there was no indication it was going south. Then one morning out of the blue, I jump in and its dead. I started it with my NOCO, drove to work, and it was dead again by the end of the day. I jumped it again and drove straight to the auto store and got a new battery.

Z71bill likes this.
  13. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I have one and they are amazing, what they will jump start depends on the capacity of the unit and the engine to be jumped. Mine has a built in flashlight and various outputs to charge a cell phone, etc. they hold their charge a long time. Sometimes you have to “excite” them by turning on headlights or radio to get them to work. I always carried one in my motorcycle saddlebag too.

14. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

I've got the Antigravity XP-10. It's bailed me out a couple times and has helped other folks as well. It will jump start a V-8 no problem, although I've used it mostly on twin ATV and Snowmobile engines. It's not designed to "charge" a dead battery, but to get the engine cranking of a little bit and then let the vehicle's charging system take over. The newer 4 stroke ATV and sled engines don't have a recoil start option, so you gotta have battery power.
    Inturctions say not to leave connected to a car battery for more than 30 seconds to avoid damage, so it's a "hook-it-up, start-it-up, unhook it" deal. The kit came with a bunch of adaptors for running other stuff like radios and computers, and it will do that for a long time.
    For me it's been a good investment.
    [​IMG]

15. jakedaawg

jakedaawg

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I had a micro jump. Am a boat mechanic by trade so as you can guess it saw a ton of use. It worked, however, the batteries were prone to fire by too much draw or too much charge. If you hooked it up in the bilge, climbed out, got to the helmet and started the boat by the time you crawled back down in the bilge to unhook it it was taking too much charge and the pack would swell.
    The snap on guy quit selling them because of similar reasons.
    If it's just for a car or small diesel they are great. Just dont leave them unattended while charging.
    Mine was one you hook to the battery, not through the cig lighter. The cig lighter attachment was to charge the pack, not the vessel.

FullClip likes this.
  16. Caver 60

Caver 60

Ditto on heavy gage jumper cables.

Again heavy gage jumper cables. Not the Wal Mart jumper cables.

Again heavy gage jumper cables. Unless you need a lot of cell phone charging.

Oldschooltube likes this.
  17. oldcop1971

oldcop1971

I have this one. Works well on car, lawn mower, and phone charging. thLYWPPENZ.jpg

18. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

I have a NOCO GB40. It's rated to start a 6.0 gas engine and a 3.0 diesel. I've successfully used it three times in the past year to aid others. Twice on vehicles and once on a boat. I do top off the charge every six months.

19. sopdan

sopdan

I've got a NOCO-something. Started a completely dead battery (4-cyl car engine) with no issue. One of the benefits of this style is that you can easily keep them in a car/truck. They're not so huge/heavy.

PatinAz likes this.
  20. CAcop

CAcop

I bet the factory batteries don't give much service because they are probably shipped to where ever the car is assembled. Then the car is assembled and shipped off. Then that thing sits there for months. Maybe it gets driven a few times before you buy it. I would be surprised if most new car batteries are at least a year old when purchased.

Z71bill likes this.