Battery "Jump"starter

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DAKA, Sep 18, 2019.

1. DAKA

DAKA

[​IMG]Anyone have any experience with these?

FullClip likes this.
  2. Bradley T

Bradley T

Used them at work some. They work, still gotta clean clamps though.

3. DAKA

DAKA

What about these "compact" ones ION BATTERY?
    This is Harbor Freight, though is to keep it charged to start my generator if the on board battery dies..

4. PBCounty

PBCounty

Like, that one in particular? Looks pretty Walgreenish. We have about 200 of them at work by one brand or another. None of them last very long as even the known brands are more or less just rebadged Chinese manufacture. Back when I worked at a Ritz Carlton we had a guy blinded by one when it inexplicably exploded. I was always a little leery of them after that.

-JCN- and TBO like this.
  5. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

I got one at wally world (diff brand). I've used it a couple of times. Very easy to use and works well. Also doubles as phone recharger during hurricanes. I'd recommend everyone have one. The problem is, I can't keep it in my car 24/7 down here in the Florida heat.

6. PatinAz

PatinAz

I have a NOCO GB70. I've used it a handful of times to jump start trucks, and once on a camping trip to charge phones. I like it.

Von Hayes likes this.
  7. Z71bill

Z71bill

I almost bought two of them - for my wife and daughter -

I was going to get the accessory that allows you to plug it into the "cigarette lighter" port - that way you don't even need to open the hood.

My issue was it is so hot in Houston the battery would not handle it.

Left a spare battery for my cell phone in the car - it wasn't pretty - I assume the battery in a cell phone and the battery in these chargers are similar.

8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Depends on your intended use. If it's to jump start your car in your garage or charge a battery, I'd opt for a charger/booster similar to this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 10.24.24 AM.png

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...4210-c-9100.htm?tid=708913030090803485&ipos=8

Not only will it charge a dead car battery, it has an 80A boost and trickle charge option to maintain a battery (like your lawn tractor or similar.

In theory the jump starters seem like a good idea, but in practice when you really need them they are dead or not in your car or both. And if it's dead, you are waiting hours to boost your car (3h charge time, maybe less to get enough juice to turn your car over).

-JCN- and treg like this.
  9. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

Never used one. Got one a few years ago as a gift but I’ve no idea where it is now.

I would think it would work well to charge small devices but there’s no way I would use it to start an engine. The leads are 12 gauge wire at best.

The wife has a jump pack with a lead acid battery that has 6 gauge cables and it works pretty well but there are limits on how much current a conductor can pass without generating heat.

I still stick with my home made cables of 4-0 welding cable. Those things can start a tank.

Caver 60, larry_minn and treg like this.
  10. Dave514

Dave514

I have one of the bigger ones that is essentially a car battery with a handle. You have to stay on top of keeping it charged up and over the years that has gotten to be more frequent as batteries do wear out. When it's done....I'll just go back to carrying some jumper cables.

11. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

I stick with the NOCO brand ones, I've had the GB150 for a few years now and works great on everything I've used it on. It does have pretty hefty cables to the clamps, hardwired on.

PatinAz likes this.
  12. illrooster132

illrooster132

they ain't jump starters. they will help with semi dead battery but not with a dead battery . meaning that if you have a slow crank it boost the crank and get you going . but if you have a click it wont do much. I use to charge my phone that is it. but what do I know ?

Caver 60, -JCN- and handyman like this.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I bought a Black & Decker. Wouldn't start crap. Turns out you have to pay attention to the amps and the cheap ones aren't very good.

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

I have an antigravity pack also. Bought it through the company website. Most of the ones on Ebay or Amazon are chinese knock offs, with very bad reviews compared to the original.
    I compare it to my NOCO jump pack like this:
    There are 2 types of packs. One is a jump pack that can also be used for 12V or usb power. Then there are battery packs for usb or 12v (even 19.6V on the larger antigravity pack) that also have cables to use to jump cars occasionally.

The difference is the type of battery cells inside each pack. True jump packs have some very high discharge rate batteries, that can safely dump a lot of current. The majority have the cheaper, low discharge rate cells that can dump current fast, but get damaged by doing so.

treg likes this.
  15. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

Yup, most are battery boosters, not true jump packs.
    My NOCO GB150 is a true jump pack, will start my 7.3L diesel with no batteries installed. The GB70 is good for pretty much any gasoline automotive/light truck engine with no battery. The smaller ones will work with smaller engines without batteries, but as I just said in a previous post, it's the quality of the lithium cells inside the pack that make the difference.

-JCN- and PatinAz like this.
  16. PatinAz

PatinAz

My GB70 has started 6+ liter gas trucks from dead.

17. handyman

handyman

Have a matco one and I think the other one is a bolt, have used both like the matco one better, it also looks kinda cool.

18. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

I've got two NOCO GB70s.
    Great for any engine starting I've tried.
    Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

PatinAz likes this.
  19. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Get the largest capacity you can, as well as one with replaceable battery (so you can swap it out & not have to toss the whole thing).

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

20. as400guy1

as400guy1

I havw a duralast 700...

Like it was said...it is for a low battery, not dead.