battery icon gone

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by fran m, Jan 19, 2010.

1. fran m

fran m

I'm not very computer saavy. Looking to see if anyone can tell me how to get the battery symbol back on the lower right corner of my laptop. Its not hidden(I do knoww how that works)

I'm pretty sure my teenage son has something to do w this. The computer is never the same after he is on it.

Also, does the program "MyStart" do anything bad? I thought I would delete it but can't locate it in Programs.

Thanks for any help.

2. Kith

Kith

What is your computers operating system?

From the sound of it, i'd say something windows?

If so, what version of windows do you have? XP, vista, windows 7, or maybe something older?

Try this:
    Go to Start Menu -> Settings -> Control Panel

Once in Control Panel, Look for an Icon that says 'Power Options' or something very similar.
    If you can only see a few icons, (like 8ish) then in the top left hand corner of the control panel window you might see a sentance in blue words with a blue underline that says 'switch to classic view' - click this sentance and you should see the 'power options' icon.

Once you double-click the 'power options' icon, you will open a smaller window and see several tabs at the top, which are probably:
    'power schemes' | 'alarms' | 'power meter' | 'advanced' | 'hibernate'

Click on the tab that says 'advanced'.

Once you are there, right up near the top you should see a square box that says next to it 'Always show icon on the taskbar'.

Click this box, so a check mark appears. Then click 'apply' at the bottom of the window, then click 'ok' which is also at the bottom of the window.

This should now show your battery at the bottom right corner of the screen, or a power plug if it is plugged in.

For your second question:

Not sure about that program, but you can remove most programs from your (windows) computer by going back into the control panel, and then finding the icon that says 'add/remove programs' or in windows 7 (i think) it is just 'programs' or 'all programs'

After you double-click that icon, a whole list of programs will come up in it's own window. It may take a few minutes or more to load. If you click on a program in the list, on the right hand side of the name will be the option to 'remove/uninstall' the program from the computer. Click this button and follow the directions.

Warning - once you uninstall the program from your computer you can't use it anymore, and if other programs need it to function they won't work anymore.

Usually the removal/uninstallation of a program is not complete until the next time you turn the computer off or restart it.

Someone more familiar with Windows 7 can help you with it if that is what you have, what I have described above may not be the same way to do it there. I haven't had much opportunity to play with windows 7 yet.

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Or you could ... Open the Start Menu, and type powercfg.cpl in the Search box or the Run box and press enter ... look for the option to always display icon option.

4. fran m

fran m

Thanks Sgt. I'll give it a try.

The problem I had with MyStart is it wasn't listed as a program.:dunno: