close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Battery Back Up for power failures

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mr. PC, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

I lose power in my house several times per week, for less than one minute at a time. It is enough to shut my computer OFF. Can someone tell me which model and brand battery back up unit to buy? Cost is determined by watts? How many watts do I need to keep my system on for one minute?

2. pyblood

pyblood

It all depends on your PC. Can you give us some specs on your PC, monitor and anything else that you may want to plug into the backup. I will say that battery backups are heavy and I recommend buying one from a retailer that has free shipping or whose total price (including shipping) is lower.

There are several brands that stick out in my mind like APC, Tripp-Lite, Belkin, etc.

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I use an Energizer 650VA for my sig rig machine, with the monitor also on the battery rail.

It will run for over 2.5 minutes with no power. Hated the beeping, so the piezoelectric speaker got its wires cut.

Actually, the most important part of having a UPS is that it'll keep your line current 100% noise-free and always up to specs. This sure cuts down on fried components!

4. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 Tower.

Not sure if my power supply is 350 or 450 watts?

DSL into my network card.

What size do I need?

5. pyblood

pyblood

I think that a 650VA UPS should be enough for you. It will allow you to keep everything running for a few minutes. It will also allow you keep your DSL modem powered on. When/If you buy a backup, make sure to buy one that has replaceable batteries. If you get one that doesn’t have the replaceable batteries, you’ll have to throw away the backup when the batteries go dean.

Like I said before, APC, Tripp-Lite, and Belkin make pretty good backups. I don’t have much experience with other name brands.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10338483&loc=101&sp=1
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201995810&loc=101&sp=1