Batons

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Climbhard, Jan 6, 2020.

1. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

The bigger asp PIC_MAIL_ATTACHMENT_1570904438792.jpeg
    The grip is very grippy

nursetim likes this.
  2. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I agree to a point, but at the same time they are acting like normal people....not like these tricked-out super ninjas who make thousands from the gullible selling self-defense DVDs and by trying to turn Joe Average into Captain Delta Force Badass. Because in a pinch of moment when the SHTF, most self-defense techniques; IE arm-bar take-downs and leg sweeps, wrestling moves, etc etc, are completely unrealistic, and a fist to the nose is the more likely scenario, and probably more effective for the vast majority of people who come to them for training.

Not everyone who goes to a self-defense class is a Delta operator or has an unlimited supply of money to get years worth of training. So I appreciate that they talk and perform for the layman, without stupid gimmicks and moves that nobody but them can perform adequately.

In as far as the tools themselves.....meh. The whips are cool, no matter who you are, and if a 60 year old woman can use one to defend herself with, then I call that a win.

nursetim likes this.

3. 4Rules

4Rules

If a baton isn't a legal option, a cane might be.

Redeemed likes this.
  4. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Now that was great, stuff must really work well.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  5. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

You should see the video where he pegs his wife in the head with a pepper ball. It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen! :animlol:

6. Vito

Vito

As an old guy with various ailments, I prefer to rely upon my concealed firearm regardless of what is "allowed". I carry a pocket knife, and have done so all of my life, but at my age and condition I doubt it would do much for me in a self defense situation. Concealed means concealed.

WT and robhic like this.
  7. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

In many jurisdictions, a “police baton” is specifically mentioned as a deadly weapon that is illegal to possess . At minimum, it gives an intent to use it as a weapon on its face value. Use of tool that is not previously defined as a deadly weapon under law might suit one better such as a cane.
    We would catch gang members with hammers, sharpened screwdrivers (and box cutters before the law was changed to include them) and would have to cut them loose if nothing else panned out in the investigation of the incident.

8. fg17

fg17

Pepper spray is a better option. BTW, I once had to disarm a guy with a collapsible baton. I used pepper spray and H2H techniques, it wasn’t that hard to take his stick away.

9. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

But what if he had popped you in the knee/leg first? Not deadly but might've made you wish you were dead!

10. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Video proves that living near power lines makes you stupid.

ranger1968 likes this.
  11. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Idiots.

12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

......testing self-defense products makes you stupid and an idiot? Must be a lot of stupid cops out there then.

I mean, look....it's no skin off my ass, I find them entertaining, nothing more, so I don't really care either way. But it sure sounds like you guys just want to hate for the sake of hating.

Do you have a legitimate complaint or grievance with something that you saw in these videos? Because calling them names doesn't explain anything.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    fg17 likes this.
  13. ranger1968

ranger1968

What they are doing is nothing even resembling "testing"; It's not "training " (which is what the cops that you called "stupid" are doing under the careful supervision of actual instructors) They appear to have zero actual knowledge about the things they are doing, and they are about as silly as it gets with whatever they are calling their methodology.

Idiots.

If they want to do all these things, great, but they portray themselves as actually evaluating products, and people who don't know any better will actually think their conclusions are valid, and make self defense decisions based on what they see, because they simply don't know enough not to.

They are like teenage kids who just got their driver licenses doing snow donuts in a parking lot with their mom's car acting like they are making a driving video....

No background, no science, no methodology.

Amateur hour nonsense.

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Why? If you mean they aren't in a lab or enclosed room under supervision, where they can record to the millimeter the flight-pattern of the OC spray, and then give you a price point with comparisons to other OC sprays, then....okay, I guess? Doesn't mean it's not TESTING a product. Was it the BEST test out there? No, perhaps it wasn't.

Lots of gun owners on YouTube shoot various firearms, record velocity on ammunition, and try out other products, and then give their OPINIONS about them....doesn't mean it's not testing.

So what is YOUR definition of TESTING a product?

Except for one glaring issue......in the REAL WORLD, there isn't an instructor holding your hand in a controlled environment. In fact there rarely is, unless you pay hundreds or thousands to get professional training.

I've been in training classrooms learning how to use a baton, and I can straight up tell you that the BS we were taught would have held up in maybe 1/100th of the real-world scenarios that actually involved employing the use of a baton. The rest of it was just absolute garbage which did not take into account most real-world scenarios, like knock-down drag-out fights with druggies and people twice your size. Like I, as a 5'6" man, am going to put a 6'4" drugged-out behemoth in an arm-bar using my baton for leverage when he's in the process of trying to take my head off. That's not how it works in reality, otherwise, cops would be THE best trained hand-to-hand self-defense artists in the world. And most aren't even close to that.

These people sprayed each other in street clothes outdoors. In real world settings. They shot themselves with pepper-balls outside, in street clothes, at appropriate distances, in a real world setting. I guess you would have felt better with a company spokesman for the product standing by with an ambulance?

I fail to see the problem. It's not as if they were doing this in the courtyard of a crowded apartment complex or shopping mall.

I also think that the companies who make this stuff wouldn't have sent him these to test if they felt he was a danger to himself or others. But who knows....maybe companies that sell self-defense products have low standards.....?

Well, they weren't TRAINING with it, soooooo....:dunno:

.....there isn't a lot involved with spraying someone else with pepper spray, recording the results, and then giving their opinions on it. Do they need to know the individual ingredients of it?

.....they were. Guess what? The products work.

Background in what? The product? You want him to give a lecture about how Stinger came to be and what the CEO's business plan is?

Methodology? Does he have to pie a corner with the OC gun?

I think you're taking these videos WAAAAYYY too seriously.

1) I've only seen a few of their videos, but no-where have I seen them claim to be experts or instructors of anything.

2) Again, there isn't a lot that goes into testing OC and whips. Would you rather they go to a jail and test them out on inmates?

Think of it this way: nobody with half-a-brain takes Cold Steel's testing videos seriously....nobody fights pig carcasses, manila rope, and car hoods on a daily basis......but that doesn't mean some of their tests aren't interesting, nor that their products aren't able to perform in the real world.

15. ranger1968

ranger1968

16. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

SimilarBoldBeagle-small.gif

17. fg17

fg17

Possibly, but impact weapons to the body do not always have the desired affect. On separate occasions I’ve continued to fight with a torn ACL, torn hamstring, bruised knee cap, bottle to the head, head smashed into a wall, and ruptured tricep tendon(tricep was the worst).

I’ve seen some guys take good shots with mag lights, base ball bats and pool cues and still fight hard. It’s not like in the movies.

robhic likes this.
  18. fg17

fg17

Not really. I don’t agree with everything they say, and Mikes style is comedic. But he happens to be an ex police officer and a very experienced martial artist, instructor and gym owner.

http://www.bjjmatrat.com/hard-2-hurt/

https://www.rkmtraining.com/

Jade Falcon likes this.