close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bass Pro/Cabella's

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LEO/Dad, Jan 16, 2010.

1. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

We are in St. Louis for the weekend, and decided to visit these stores. They are about fifteen minutes apart driving. There were easily five times the number of people shopping at Cabella's, maybe more. I spoke to a salesman in the store about this, and he said he heres this a lot. They had a lot more sales going on at Cabellas, especially with the ammo. People were everywhere in the gun department, taking their number, and waiting to be waited on. The atmosphere at Cabellas was just different, and the customers seemed to be having a good time. I thought I would point out my observations. There definitely is a difference in customer service here in St. Louis.

2. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I've been to three Cabela's, never a bass pro yet. I may take a trip up to Foxboro, I think they have a bass pro. I do find all of the firearms way over priced though, cheaper at our local gunshops.

3. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

Did Bass Pro have the same selection?

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I find Bass Pro to be more geared towards anglers. Whodathunkit?

5. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

I've never been in a Cabela's.

I've been in the Bass Pro Shop in Anne Arundel County (Hanover, MD) many times.

The ONLY problems with BPS is:
    1. Firearms sales people. They're generally full of bovine scatolgy.
    To paraphrase one local clothing store - "An educated consumer is the best customer!"
    Know what you want and know the 'going price' of whatever you're looking for, at BPS.

2. Long lines at the firearms counter. Take a number. Depending on the day, you might be standing in line for an hour, or more, just to get assistance.

6. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

OP- I have seen the exact same thing. I see a more laid back attitude at Cabella's over BPS. And I have been to a couple different stores for each retailer.

Good call.

7. Minnow

Minnow

Prices are high at both, but I seem to be able to make deals somehow at Cabela's whenever I find something that i can't live without. Cabela's definitely has a better selection of firearms and you commonly see things like AR-15's and .50BMG rifles. Hell, the latest flier I just received displayed several different AR's and the Mini 30 with the new 20 round mags, along with a bunch of different handguns. Cabela's also has the best return policy in the business. I returned a night vision rifle scope that I had bought 5 years ago for a full refund with my receipt. No questions asked.

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Yep. Bass Pro is more fishing oriented - ESPECIALLY the one in Foxboro. It's a hoot to visit, tho.

BPS is a fishing/boating store that carries camping, outdoor and hunting/shooting gear. Cabela's is a outdoor/hunting/shooting store that carries camping, and I assume fishing, gear.

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I've been to both, and my observation is that Bass Pro Shop devotes too much floorspace to stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the outdoors. If I want a food court, a video arcade and an elevator that goes through an aquarium tank I'll go to the mall. HH

10. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I couldn't agree more.

When we want to take the grandson out for a good time, we'll take him to Bass Pro.

When I want quality gear, decent selection, competitive pricing, and knowledgeable people, I go to Sportsman's Warehouse or Scheel's. Cabela's is about 2 hours away, but I find it preferable to BPS as well.

11. R*E

R*E

From what I've seen, the Cabela's here in StL has better prices than most of, if not all the local gun shops.

12. marchboom

marchboom

Not that way any more. Now it's just the manufacturer's warranty and you can buy an additional year or two for extra $$$.

13. RioKid

RioKid

I was in Cabelas in Sidney, Ne. last summer and all the items I went in there for were at least 20% higher than the local shops here. I left empty handed. :crying:

14. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Cue the people who will say I'm hurting my local economy, but places like that are just for lookin'

15. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

I like Cabela's in a way but they all seem to be a copy of each other and I wonder how many stuffed Polar Bears and Lions will be enough to impress the public. I see three lions at our local store, and a Polar Bear, a Black Bear, a Grizzly Bear, and a virtual zoo of other stuffed exotic animals. Maybe this helps sell their products, but I'd rather see them in the wild than to see them mounted in their stores. True, that's just my view, but they have 30 stores nationwide, and if each store has three or four lions and at least one Polar Bear, that's a lot gone from the wild just to decorate their stores, especially when there's talk about worrying if the Polar Bears will go extinct or not.

16. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

You know, I never really looked at it that way and you raise a good point. I absolutely hate the idea of killing a "game" animal for anything other than food. But, not knowing the stories behind these displays I'd be curious as to whether they are bought, on loan, killed by Cabela's or their employees, etc. HH

17. bambikilr

bambikilr

never been to Cabela's, have ordered from them tho, have a Bass Pro here in Oklahoma City, they are high priced, but usually have what i'm looking for, but i would rather but from a local shop...as far as the mounted animals & fish at this store, i think most are replica's & VERY old mounts...they do have alot of hunting & shooting supplies in OK...really want to go to a Cabela's store tho...just cause i never have

18. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I believe here in the midwest the whitetail deer mounts are purchased from the owners.

19. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

I agree as well, I won't take game if I can't use it, I'm not a trophy hunter, I don't have a single thing mounted on the wall in my home. I'm not after a big rack of antlers or a record book score, I want to put the meat on the table as I believe it was intended to be done. To me life is precious, I don't hunt anymore actually, but would if it became necessary, I certainly have the skills developed over a lifetime of stalking the woods and providing for myself in the wild. I feel I wouldn't starve to death at least, but I've never been one to kill for the pleasure of killing, it's always been for the food. It's that way with fish also, a couple for today, and maybe a couple more for the icebox for tomorrow, but I won't take an ice chest full.

20. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Very well put, and I'm in total agreement. HH