close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bass guitar guys. J bass or P bass

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 3glkdog, Feb 13, 2010.

1. 3glkdog

3glkdog

OK, no bass fishing joke please.

I'm currently a six strings acoustic guitar player, been looking at learning bass guitar just for fun. I'm looking at MIM Fender J bass and P bass but I don't know what the differences is between the two. I can see that the pickups are different, but anything else between these two? How do they sound, and what do you guys prefer? Thanks

2. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

I prefer the tone, the looks, and the QUIET pickup of the Precision bass. I have an American Standard and a sweet '57 re-issue.

The thinner Jazz neck is comfy, however.

THEN: try a Music Man Stingray. A little different take on the same theme. Both Leo Fender designs, as well as G&L.

Try 'em both; then decide. They will both do an excellent job.

[spend more and avoid MADE in MEXICO. IF you have the funds. Just my 2 cents. Japanese Fenders are super, however.]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010

3. wizzi01

wizzi01

Do yourself a favor get the mim jazz. When you get comfortable playing it throw in some EMG jazz pickups and get some killer sound.

4. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

My dad has been playing bass for about 30 years, so I have some insight, though no experience. He prefers the P bass for everything. He has a single J, compared to his 10 P. I would recommend a P bass for your first.

5. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

10 Precisions??

Wow. :shocked:

But cool.

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

My preference would be the MIM P. While I like the J neck, I find that the P sounds better and you aftermarket pick-up selection is greater. Don't let the MIM deter you...it's the same guitar, just not made by American unions. A big plus. HH

7. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Well, it really depends on the music you want to play.
    They sound completely different.

Also depends on your right hand technique: pluck or pop, finger or pick

I play rock and metal and all my bass players use a P Bass or an Ibanez or Ernie ball with Humbucker

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Sorry, I can't resist.

LM Bass. Nuff said!

9. 3glkdog

3glkdog

OK, from what I got so far.
    The P bass sound is the most favorite from the above posts but the J bass neck is better. Is the neck thinner, why is the neck different on the J? Thanks

I want to learn finger technique, no pick. Why is this important? Thanks

10. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

MIM has nothing to do with unions.

Made in Mexicos are inferior in craftsmanship and material. Fender charges more $ than they are worth.

Compare and make your own conclusions.

11. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Because they SOUND completely different. Its still coming down to what genre music you want to play.

You play guitar...acoustic, but still, you recognize the difference between a Stratocaster and a Les Paul, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEMWxvP1Z6A&feature=related

P bass and J bass are kinda like that. Different sound depending on the style and type music you play.
    Jazz bass pickups are more trebley sounding and sharp
    P bass pickup is usually more thunder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1U6_2Jycnw&feature=related

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  12. Jazz5

Jazz5

Go to a music store and play them both!
    I'm a J Bass guy and prefer strats for my skinny string platforms. It really doesn't matter what we think. The only thing that matters is what you like in an instrument.
    You really can't go wrong with either one.

13. .357sigger

.357sigger NRA Member

If you really want the best of both worlds you could pick up a p/j where the neck pickup is from a precision and the bridge pick up is out of a jazz bass. I want a 5 string sadowsky that is set up like that.

It comes down more to what you want to play...and how you want to play. I myself play with my fingers and only use a pick if the orignal song was/recorded/played like that or if I can't keep up.

You will get a bettter rock sound with a p bass...but if you like blues etc you may be more inclined to go with the jazz bass. I would go to a music store and either you or better yet someone there who can play bass well play them for you side by side on the same amp and you be the judge as to which you like.

As to the MIM vs American thing...they are completly different...the woods, the hardware/tuners, electronics/pick ups, etc are not the same...to the beginning player by all means I wouldn't dump 1,000.00+ on my first bass, but after you have been playing a while and know that you will stick with it, you notice a difference. Just as you would with anything else.

The same goes for amps too...:whistling:

14. .357sigger

.357sigger NRA Member

I think probably one of the best basses out there for the money when comparing value, options with electronics, etc. would be a musicman...

15. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

Yeah, the guy I'm playing with now has a MusicMan 5 string with a massive humbucker and a Fender P Bass 5 string with active P and Jazz pickups

16. 3glkdog

3glkdog

Look like I'm gonna go with a used fretless Fender MIM Jazz. I played one today that belong to a friend of a friend. He wants $400.00 for it with hard shell fender case, in excellent cond, no dents or dings anywhere. pretty smooth playing guitar.

17. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

You don't live that far from my home. In the local swap sheet there is a Music Man Bongo Bass for $500. The guy started out over $1000. This is a very good price for a pro level bass. He will also trade for a equal quality 2x12 or 1x15 bass speaker cab. If you want a phone number, PM me.
    I'm not a bass player, although I did own an Ibanez P-Bass copy years ago. Isn't the scale shorter on the Jazz bass?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  18. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

From the only guy here uses an avatar of himself playing bass (a Steinberger) - I would NOT go for a fretless right off the bat!!!

You've got a lot to learn about bass - and I would encourage you to get the bassics down (bass-ics, get it? :) ) without worry about intonation right off the bat. I recommend saving "going fretless" for at least a year or three...

And, as others have said - the P and J are completely different (loved Weiser878's comparison of Strat vs. Les Paul - very apropos! :thumbsup:) - so buy accordingly.

Since we're sharing stories... here's mine! The best bass I ever owned was an early 70s Fender Jazz (this was in the late 70s) - but, being a teenager, I traded it for a Rickenbacher 4001 (because that's what Geddy Lee and Chris Squire were playing!) - and I hated the Rick so only had it about a month before I traded it.

I'm playing a lot more drums (late 70s Slingerland is my main kit) than bass - but have the 4-string Steinberger in the avatar, and a 5-string Ibanez (which is a lot more J-bassy than P in pickup and neck configuration).

kestrou

P.S. - Check out Tim Converse's post above - buddy of mine has a Music Man Bongo - and if it's in good shape then $500 is a DEAL! ;)

19. Revvv

Revvv

My go to bass is a Fender P Bass Special. It's a Precision with a Jazz pickup mounted in the bridge position. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

20. jim123

jim123

I been playing electric guitar for 28 years. I would play bass for fun sometimes. When I played a 5 string Ibanez bass, I knew a 6 string bass would be a direct transition. I tune the bass b,e,a,d,f#,b. Everything you play on guitar is exactly the same on the bass played 5 frets lower. If you play what would be an A bar chord at the 5th fret using all 6 strings on the guitar, it will be in the key of E if you played the same thing in the same position (5th fret)on the bass. You can play the entire range of a 4 string without moving your hand from that 5th fret bar chord. You have 5 notes lower than low e on the 4 string and they are all along the same string. NOBODY WILL EVER WANT TO PLAY IT AFTER THEY TRY IT ONCE. That's my experience with it. They can't figure it out even after you explain it to them. I play slow "guitar solos" on it and people are amazed. The only thing I hated about it is that people began telling me I was a way better bass player than a guitar player. I play all the Van Halen, RR, Satriani etc stuff. I still want other guitars but I can't thing of another bass I'd want. Rogue 6 string bass in bubinga finish. $250 delivered to my door from Musicians Friend.
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-LX406-Pro-6String-Bass?sku=519246