basic but dependable chrono?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by M1A Shooter, May 1, 2012.

1. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

i am looking to get a chronograph but am looking at something easy to use to get basic functions. dont need a printer or special attachments. only consideration would be that its simple to take to a public range and setup quickly.

i have zero experience with them but am looking to refine my reloading and getting the feedback data would help vs just guessing from the books.

thanks ahead of time for your recommendations.

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Not the cheapest chrono around but I am going to recommend the CED Millenium 2

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED-M2-Chronograph-Set.html

It costs a little under $200.

The part I like is that the electronics is on the bench. I can shoot a few rounds (a string), save or trash that string and start another string from the keyboard.

I don't have to write anything down (like individual velocities) or save any results. It is handy to note the string # (as it is saved) and what was being shot.

You can connect the chrono to your computer to download the data. I import it into a spreadsheet so I can add information about the loads and save the final results.

I particularly don't want the electronics downrange.

You can search this forum for more on the topic. We just went through this a month ago. There were other recommendations.

Richard

3. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

4. fredj338

fredj338

CED, best on the market IMO next to the Oehler. Good screens, easy to setup & use. The screen mounting bracket is a bit weak, but just handle carefully. Avoid the Chorny line unless you only want to spot check your ammo. Using one often is a huge PITA IMO.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I've had one like this for just under 3 years. Has been flawless so far. I have shot those support brackets a few times, they just bend and I bend them back. Nothing has been damaged to date.

They have it on sale often for $98 or something.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. alank2

alank2

7. jr05

jr05

I will second this, mine has been excellent.

8. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

9. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

10. sourdough44

sourdough44

I have the same one in the pictures above, works just fine. Go get a semi-cheap camera stand and you will be set.

11. Sheep

Sheep

i bought a RCBS-that was a mistake. I have used a friends CED and it is much nicer.

12. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Same one here...BG and Co. recommended this one, and I was also able to get it on sale from Midway, too.

I always check the batteries before I head out with it by running a rubber band over the sensors a couple of times :)

13. vafish

vafish

My crony works just fine and was $79.

I do have to write down my results.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Do you also have to calculate average, extreme spread and standard deviation? You didn't say which unit you have so I don't know what other features it might have.

Richard

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Before I used a chrono I kinda thought all that wasn't really important. Now that I use one that does all that I wouldn't want to be with out it.

16. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

The ability to download the data to a PC is even more important, to me...

If all I got was raw data, that would be fine because Excel is quite capable of doing the statistical stuff.

What I really want is a more capable keyboard on the CED Millenium II (because the electronics is on the bench). I would love to be able to enter load information prior to shooting a string and then have that information regurgitated when I download to a PC. It really is a PITA having to keep a notebook of load and string data so I can annotate the spreadsheet.

In fact, I would be happy with a chrono that just gave me the velocity over USB or serial and I could write the program for a PC to grab the velocity and do the statistics. That way I could annotate everything as I went along. There are plenty of small PCs that would fit on a shooting bench.

Maybe I should try to gut a CED Pro and cook up my own electronics. Not a bad idea, really. CED has solved the screen and sensor issues and they have some scheme for timing the screen events (I don't know if this is done in external hardware (counter chips) or as inputs to a microcontroller) and the rest of the deal would be dead simple.

A little PC, a little Linux (easier to program than Windows) and a bit of database stirred well and the result would be a MUCH more capable chrono.

Richard

17. n2extrm

n2extrm

Gut the micro what? :dunno:

I agreed with the first two paragraphs. Then you had to get all technical on me.

I have the CED MII.

I like it but as you said it could be better. The function is great, but being able to add a tag to the string would be great.

If you are going to buy a chronograph I suggest buying one that suites all possible needs with in reason. I always say cry once buy once.

18. stak

stak

19. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

No, but thanks for posting about it! I have the CED M2 and the downloader software doesn't have the same features. Until now, I didn't have any interest in the Pro because the electronics are downrange. All of a sudden, my view has changed.

It's not high on my list but I might give the Pro and the software a try.

Richard

20. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I would never, ever go through the brain damage of importing it to my computer. That is why I like the Chrono to do it for me. Seems that cheap on does that so unless you want IR, remote display (very nice) and the bigger screens (also nice) that cheap one works.