close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baseball defintion of strike zone, rules question.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

If a strike zone is from the knees to the chest, can a batter squat down lower and shrink the strike zone?

2. profiler999

profiler999

Yes they can. Do it all the time.

3. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Actually it is not how scrunched down they are, but rather their hitting stance which is defined as how they stand when they are taking a swing.

If the batter wants to crouch down to take advantage of a smaller strike zone they they will have to make all swings from that position...this typically is not done, and thus once they stand up to swing their true strike zone is defined.

Hope this helps...and yes, I have some background in calling balls and strikes, and didn't put up with non-sense. Play the game!

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Knees to mid-tummy, IIRC. Expanded from knees-to-belt several (few?) years ago. Letters are too high.

There is a story of a manager in the 30's or 40's that had a "little person" on his team. He had ONE at bat. Was told, "Stand there and put that bat on your shoulder. If you swing, you are fired."

Walked on 4 pitches. Strike zone was itty-bitty. Other coach was PISSED.

(There is also another legend of a hitter who fouled off dozens of pitches. "Walk me or run out of game balls. Your choice." They eventually walked him. LOL)

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Ok, what I'm going to suggest sounds so dumb, it must be. But I'm just missing something :)

Why doesn't a batter scrunch down so low that the strike zone is essentially 0 height, and try to take 2 good swings from that position. And if he can't hit, then just let the rest of the pitches be balls and get the walk?

6. bocaboca

bocaboca

i coach high school baseball..............bottom of the zone are knees.... top of the zone "one ball width" above the belt line.

never saw anyone try to manipulate the zone.....if they did... I could hear some chin music on the way

7. bigskinny

bigskinny

Because hitters want to hit.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Crap, I can hear Helicopters outside.

Think they are from MLB? I'll be right back...

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

well it use to be from the batter's knees to his chest (nipple line), but most umps lower it to just above the belt line, and even then it is not consistantly applied by the same ump during the same game.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  10. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

"Midget" Eddie Gadell. Sent to the plate by Bill Veeck, owner of the St. Louis team (Browns?).

11. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Also take into consideration stance and that all umpires call strike zones a little differently. One of the things often said by pitchers and coaches is knowing who is umpiring since some call higher strikes and have larger zones than others. MLB has wanted more of a uniformed strike zone but in the over 100+ years strike zones have always varied a little.

:50cal:

12. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

A statement from George Will:

The strike zone is from the knees to the "letters". Baseball would never allow the sacred rulebook to be profaned by the word "nipples".

13. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Could be done...however, I would have found a reason to call a strike on anything close thereby negating any benefit. Also, the rules allow the umpire to judge when something is making a travesty of the game and rule accordingly. I would consider this behavior to be such an activity. That batter would have to adopt his stance for the entire year to prove otherwise...and umpires do talk to each other.

I used to take the first batters from each team and find a pitch just outside the strike zone and call it a strike. The batter might look at me, but would start swinging their bat and then proceed to tell their buddies: "better swing...Blue is calling the outside edge of the plate". Fans don't come to the part to watch players walk...the come to watch a hitter. Even a pitcher's duel is boring.

To bust a myth...not all coaches "arguments" are real. I have had a coach come out to second base to argue after calling a runner out on an attempted steal...the "argument went something like this "Blue...what the H3!! was my guy thinking? This team sucks and I am tired of standing here in the sun...send me inside so I can cool off"... followed by a hat toss onto the base path. Trying not to chuckle I would tell them that I was sorry their team sucked, but since I had to endure a sucky game they would have to endure also and turn around to walk away. Short of belting me the guy wouldn't get tossed.

Of course it was a "real" argument I would toss them in a heartbeat. I had to patience for that behavior.

14. ray9898

ray9898

Because power comes from a stride and extension which is restricted by a collapsed posture. If the hitter extends himself to hit the ball then that defines the strike zone, not the pre-pitch posture.

15. gigab1te

gigab1te

When I was a kid, we used to play against the high school up on the Hopi Reservation. Some of the kids up there were pretty short to start with, and had mastered the art of maing their strike zone as small as possible.

16. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Travesty of the game only applies to runners intentionally running the bases in reverse order. However the rules do allow umpires to rule on any circumstances not specifically covered by the rules and eject anyone acting in an unsportsmanlike manner.

Lower levels of baseball have a clause in their strike zone that says "when taking a reasonable batting stance." The book zone has always stayed the same, the changes have come from different umpire interpretations over the years. Very rarely is a pitch at the upper end of the book zone called a strike but it's quite common for a pitch three to four inches off the plate to be called.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Hey, take that free base any way you can. LOL (I missya, Don Baylor.)

I find more interesting the "zone" around 2nd base that the SS or 2B'man can use INSTEAD of stepping on 2nd for a double-play. I understand it's to protect them from getting their shins shattered by the sliding runner, but sometimes it's not even close.

18. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Ball or strike?

[​IMG][/IMG]

19. sarge83

sarge83

Our local little league ump likes from the ankles to the eye balls. If it crosses the plate in that area you better swing cause it's gonna be a strike... I have saw more than one hit dirt just behind the plate and yep they have been called strikes. Worse still if the fool is bat blind and flinches when the batter swings.

Oh to complain but it does not good, just teaches the kids bad habits and the coaches go along with it. I tell my son from the letters to the knees, let everything else pass even if you strike out, no need to get into a bad habit you are going to have to break down the road.