close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baseball cards.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Folsom_Prison, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Anybody here know what's valuable or not? Or know of some sites that might steer me in the right path? I'm not a huge sport buff and I'm not in the know so to speak.

My dad collected cards for years, I have several boxes. He died in the early 90's so all the cards date back before then. I'm not looking to sell just seeing what I might have here if anything.

Thanks, A.J.

2. bsg1

bsg1

you could check and see what the cards are going for on ebay.

3. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

Beckett is the best for grading cards.

4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i got some beanie babies i will trade :supergrin:

unless you got a babe ruth or a ultra rare card , its only worth what someone will pay.

case in point i went to yard sale years ago , the dude gave me 1o boxes loaded with cards , mint some dating back to 70ties . but the bottom has fallen out of collector stuff

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Just wondering, why has the bottom fallen out of the collector stuff?

6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

A lot of fakes out there now, whereas in years past it was more difficult to fake stuff. Ebay and the like makes it easier to sell fakes also.

A lot of aging celebrities, singers, and athletes signing thousands upon thousands of albums, gloves, bats, record covers, shirt, ballcaps, etc..to be sold for a quick buck which dramatically reduces the value of thier signature.

Just look around. I know of three comic book/sports/collectible shops that are no longer in business.

Its just not big business anymore. Kids would rather play Call of Duty than collect comics and sport memoribillia.

7. 1911ES

1911ES

Any un-opened cases or boxes of baseball cards are worth the most. The 70's and 80's are good years, before all cards were over produced .... etc.
    The 1989 Upper Deck or Topps of the 80's will always be a little more collectible, as it has many Hall of Fame players.

Like any other collectible, you always need a buyer.

8. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

plus consider this..cards that were bought up untill the early 70"s were not seen as a investment...they had gum stains and were rubber banded and not really made in that great of numbers so its really hard to find them in good quality

so the number of great or even good conditioned cards is very low...from the 70"s and up, each card was printed in the millions and also when bought most were put straight into card holders and never touched....most cards now adays arent even bought by kids but adults that are looking to make a buck.

my older cousin owned a card shop for a few years and told me his customers were comeing in with jewlers loops and studied each card for any kind of defect ....

father in law is also a big card fan and in 1998 had spent over $3000 and still had not gotten all of that years sets.

even autographs can be a trap now adays..he has the famous picture of williams,dimaggio and mantle, he cant make any money off it because alll the collectors want it verrified by an expert and that can cost $500 and up..he thinks its real but why take the chance.

yep the card bussiness is really in the tank

9. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Check Ebay. I recently saw a piece on baseball cards, maybe on the CBS Sunday Morning show kind of explaining the crash of BB card collecting, it may be on their site, or YouTube.

10. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

11. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

You should be able to get this at a card store, I used it before but that was many moons ago :supergrin:

:50cal:

12. Hoosier Glocker

Hoosier Glocker

I think he is referring to sending the cards in to have the condition graded by BGS. Beckett or PSA are the only companies I would use for that.
    http://www.beckett.com/grading/

13. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

to get a card valued under $500 costs $25 . the higher the value the more the cost, a card valued at $10,000 will cost you $300 to grade and encapsulated.

the good news is that once done your card will be easier to sell and will get a better price the higher the gradeing..

the bad news is that they grade these things with magnify glasses and the mercy of a japanese whaler.

even the smallest crease or level of shadeing can lead to a low grade and less value for your card,

14. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Agree with posted above. Becket is who you would want your cards graded by as everyone knows they are true to form.

But it costs a lot. And they are ridiculously thorough on the scale. Think that if the card just came off the press.... like "MINT" the chances of it being above 9.0 are like 1 in a 100 due to offsizing, alignment of cut, ink bleed, etc.

It's crazy.