Base for FastFire 3

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by bocadave, Sep 13, 2015.

1. bocadave

bocadave

Thinking of installing a FastFire 3 MRD sight on my G34 LW slide. I like the looks of the Lone Wolf "slide melt" but saw a base made by Vector Optics that installs in standard dove tail cut. Has anyone tried this set up? Thanks for any help.

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

They only charge like 125-135 or so to mill it in. How much is the base?

I hate to keep repeating myself but I have a revolver with a red dot and while it works and is very accurate and fun to shoot it is too high and playing "hunt the dot" is time consuming. Maybe a Glock would be better, revolvers with magnums tend to move in the hand when shot and there is not a good visual index to get you lined back up behind the dot.

I would get a set of suppressor sights and have LW mill your slide but that is just me.

3. frankt

frankt

I have not seen that mount but because I was also interested in maybe having a slide milled or playing with a red Dot, I bought the dovetail mount from Springer.
    http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=105&categoryId=30

I put it on a G29 10mm with a Vortex Venom 3 MOA sight.

I have fired about 150 rounds of full power 10mm rounds and so far everything is holding up fine.

4. bocadave

bocadave

Lone Wolf melt $124.00, Vector base $25.00 and the Springer looks like about $45.00. The Springer looks better. Is it all one piece as the Vector base looks to be two pieces. Better than milling slide then not liking the MRD sight.

5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I see your point, but I can't see someone not liking a red dot once they have tried it. Not if it is a quality rig. I can't wait to get a Glock set up with a dot like my Smith.

6. danbocog

danbocog

I mounted a Fastfire III on my G24 with a dovetail mount from Burris from Amazon. A little over priced at $40.00 and the fit was so loose that that I had to shim it to fit snug. The screws supplied were too long and had file them to tighten them. Only about 400 rounds fired, but it has not moved from zero with reloads in the mid 10 mm range. I have not mastered finding the dot after recoil. Just need more rounds down range.
    Mounted a suppressor front sight that if you see the front sight you need to lower the muzzle.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  7. bocadave

bocadave

danbocog, that is why I like the LW slide melt but I better try a MRD before I have the slide milled and then not like it.

8. danbocog

danbocog

My G24 is a 1995? or so vintage Gen2. One of the very first sold in NC or so I was told. Don't want to permanently alter it for what ever value it has and sentimental reasons.

If I decide to stay with a RD I may order a LW slide and have them mount the FF3 for me. I already have the LW extended barrel and compensator.

9. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Installed a Burris FFIII using the Burris plate for Glock that fits in the dovetail on a Glock 23 and had it on for over a year… shot it at the range a lot. Pros - accurate, held point of zero. FFIII was very reliable and adjustable. Fun to shoot at the range in daylight. Cons - Sits very high … loose natural aim point with the gun. U give up the fixed sights as backup. Very difficult to acquire the red dot alignment and sight picture in low light to dark as it is not at the natural aim point of the gun.

In the end what I moved to, since this was also a HD gun, I took off the FFIII and put night sights on the G 23. Put a light on the G23. Continues as my HD gun plus a favorite to carry in the field as b/u when hunting/hiking.

Got a separate gun (M&P Pro Core .40 S&W) with already built in recessed slot for red dot sight (went with Trij. RMR) and high (suppressor height) sights that I can cowitness. Still working on this from accuracy standpoint, maybe more of an M&P issue but I am continuing to work with it (mostly trigger work so far) and be hopeful of duplicating the speed/accuracy balance I had with a red dot on the G23.

I will add one more thing with the red dots … like a laser, the dot makes it very easy and dramatic to see when you pull the sight off target like on a rapid fire drill. Almost discouraging to see how bad I was pulling off when my technique was not good.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015