Barrel/Slide Porting

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DAW9347, Jan 23, 2020.

1. DAW9347

DAW9347

My main carry pistol is the Glock 23:

[​IMG]

which is carried in a Diamond D shoulder rig when easy cover is allowed, and a Kirkpatrick belt holster, other times when open carry is appropriate:

[​IMG]

The .40 S&W rounds do create quite a "snappy" muzzle flip in this pistol, so I've been thinking about sending the barrel and slide off to "Mag-Na-Port" to have their process done.
    What I'm interested in reading about, is how any of you owners have experience with ported Glock barrels and slides. TIA

2. JMS

JMS 02

I’m a fan myself. Lone Wolf Distributors can match the look of the Glock 23C if you wanted a similar look. They did the majority of my non factory conversions

DAW9347 likes this.

3. fredj338

fredj338

There is a reduction in muzzle rise but also in blast. IMO, just practice more vs spending money on porting the barrel & slide. There are also factory ported slide/bbl assemblies. Or for less money, just get a 9mm conv bbl & shoot that for practice.

FullClip likes this.
  4. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I basically agree.

I've played around with a few ported Glocks in 9 and .40, and don't really see the net advantage. If you're talking about shooting factory defensive ammo with a carry gun, just pick a caliber/power and learn to shoot it to maximum effect.

Obviously shooting .40 is going to be slower than 9, all else equal. If you really want the small additional power of .40, why waste it lighting up your sight pictures with a big blast?

And for development or sport purposes, just load to the power you want for the specific application.

fredj338 likes this.
  5. DAW9347

DAW9347

I have my own range out back and more practice, than what I do now, is impossible. Wasn't looking for shooting advice, I was interested to read from those who actually know whether there is a difference with a compensating system, or not.
    Lone Wolf Dist. is a GOOD outfit, and I use a lot of their products. I'm thinking of going with Magnaport, rather than add any length to the barrel/slide. That's why I was asking about the slots being EDM machined into the slide and barrel. Back in the day I met the late Larry Kelly at the NSGA Show at McCormick Place in Chicago. He did a few shotgun barrels for us. and that helped immensely with gaining more recoil recovery.
    My experience with other ported semi-autos that shoot the .38 Super round have proven that more practice does nothing to reduce excessive muzzle flip.

6. JMS

JMS 02

13063D20-ECDA-4034-8D61-428F032BD596.jpeg F5065EE9-4422-43D6-A517-CAE9C87A48B7.jpeg

DLL9mm likes this.
  7. DAW9347

DAW9347

Very nice! Thanks for posting the pictures. My goal is not to eliminate all "muzzle flip", but only as much as I can. I think most folks know who Jerry Miculek is:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6dWDFcoFFs

I'll probably go with Magnaport, mainly because that process doesn't add to slide length. I can still use my Diamond D shoulder rig.

8. porschedog

porschedog

I have a 19C. It is much more pleasant to shoot, IMO, than a standard 19. Despite the horror stories, I do not find myself blinded by the PSTD inducing flash described by those who may not have actually shot one of these pups in full on darkness. Try one and see, scuse the pun, for yourself.