Barrel Question

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bowzette, Jan 15, 2020.

1. bowzette

bowzette

I have a S&W M&P Sport. Will a aftermarket $200 range barrel perform significantly better at 100-200 yards if shooting bulk 5.56 or .223?

2. K. Foster

K. Foster

Since you don’t specify a barrel there are always variables and since this is the internet, people always want to argue, but the short answer is.... no.

3. bowzette

bowzette

Thanks. I thought a "better" barrel wouldn't make a material difference unless I was handloading. I have a good aftermarket trigger and just ordered a Vortex 1-6x24 and mount on sale from PSA this evening. Then I started thinking of barrels but for shooting bulk ammo-Federal Black Label, or AE $0.30 a round I didn't think there would be much pay back.

4. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I think the S&W barrels are pretty decent. I don't have a sport, but a M&P15OR. It has been awhile, but I think I recall about 1.5 MOA off a rest (sometimes a bit less).

K. Foster likes this.
  5. bowzette

bowzette

Thanks for the responses. I have a good trigger and will have a descent scope. The wind here is usually 10-15 or 15-20 mph. Short of a match barrel, maybe upper, faster twist and handloading heavier bullets I think I will kill Mr. Evil Paper or his brother Steelie with what I got.

K. Foster likes this.
  6. Tbags

Tbags

So you never did say which Sport barrel you have, what's it say on the side of the barrel? Some of the Sports had a nice 5R 1/8 twist barrels on them that shoot very good.

Better trigger, free float it to start and shoot some different types of ammo to find something it shoots the best with.

7. cciman

cciman

Neither Evil Paper nor the brother have vital spots. Hit them anywhere and it counts.
    Just like on TV. But, if you are worried about the wind, you are too far away. Barrel or optics should not cost more than the gun, is my rule of thumb.

8. bowzette

bowzette

Tbags I don't see any markings on the barrel. S&W Sport not the II bought several years ago.

9. pblanc

pblanc

I believe all the M&P 15 Sport carbines had 1:8 twist barrels, but I could be wrong. The current M&P 15 Sport IIs have 1:9 twist barrels.

10. bowzette

bowzette

I "assume" it is 1:9. At any rate I buy the 55 gr brass. Some in 5.56 and some in .233. Any future purchases I will to be sure to avoid crimped primers in case I want to reload later. I am staying with the Smith barrel. I think it will probably shoot what I buy with it as well or as badly as with a more expensive barrel. Looked online at the CZ 527 Carbine in 5.56/223. Single set trigger, nice wood-better way to squander money :)

11. Tbags

Tbags

bowzette, it's pretty easy to figure out your twist rate, surprised it isn't on the barrel or maybe under the handguard and not visible at the moment.
    How do I find out the twist in my barrel?
    The best place to start is with the barrel or rifle maker. Sometimes this information is not available. One method of finding the twist rate of your barrel is by using a cleaning rod.

1. Put a dry, loose fitting patch (so it doesn’t get stuck in your barrel) on a jag and put your rod into your barrel from either the muzzle end or the chamber end. (Note: When putting a rod into the muzzle end, be careful not to damage the crown/muzzle).
    2. Move the rod back and forth to verify that the rod spins freely as the rifling turns the rod.
    3. With the rod in the barrel, make a mark on the rod with a Sharpie at the point where the rod enters the muzzle or the action.
    4. Near the handle of the rod place a piece of tape on the top of the rod. Push the rod into the barrel.
    5. You will see the piece of tape travel one full revolution as the rifling turns the rod.
    6. When the tape is back to the top make another mark with your Sharpie on the rod where the rod enters the muzzle or the action.
    7. Pull the rod out of the barrel and measure the distance between the two Sharpie marks.
    If the distance is 12 inches, you have a 1:12” twist barrel. If the distance is 8 inches, you have a 1:8” twist barrel, and so on. For best results, repeat this process two or three times. If you find the measurement is 9.2 inches or 9.8 inches, you can shoot any bullets that are recommended for a 1:10” twist. You may or may not be able to shoot bullets that are recommended for a 1:9”

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Probably not.

13. H@zmatt

[email protected]

Not a chance.

14. Bradley T

Bradley T

A free-float guard would probably help the most. My Sport has a 1 in 9. Some were 1in 8 supposedly. 1 in 9 is good enough for anything the average plinker is gonna do with AE .223, or XM193 ammo. A better stock and forearm would be best for that little Sport, not a needless barrel switch. I've been practicing several years and mine still shoots better than I do, just the poi moves some when changing shooting positions.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  15. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

If I remember correctly, 1 in 9 is designed to stabilize 55 and 62 grain bullets, 1 in 8 62 to 70 (with lighter weights included) and the 1 in 7 stabilizes the heavier 70+ grain bullets better. My Daniel Defense upper with a 1 in 8 shoots 55 grain very well but the most accurate load is a Barnes TSX 70 grain. YMMV.

16. H@zmatt

[email protected]

If you have an original sport with a 1/8 5r It's an excellent barrel. If all your doing is popping bulk ammo through it I wouldn't worry too much about groups. What is your intended purpose with this gun ? Answer that before you buy a bunch of add ons.

17. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

At 100-200 yards there isn’t a steel plate that a M&P Sport’s factory barrel won’t touch. The one I bought for my sister with the 1:8 barrel has proven to have great accuracy with cheap 55g range fodder.

If you’re talking about plinking the factory barrel should do anything you want. No bowling pin is safe at the 100 yard line.

If you’re wanting tiny groups on paper shooting from the bench you probably won’t get your money’s worth out of cheap bulk 55g ammo anyway no matter what barrel you have installed.

K. Foster and pblanc like this.
  18. bowzette

bowzette

Thanks for the comments. I "assumed" a more expensive barrel would not make any significant difference shooting brass bulk ammo. And I know better than to try to shoot tiny groups with it :) I have a fortune in an all custom 10/22 (no ruger parts left!)-for shooting tiny groups at 50 yds if the wind is reasonable. Re-reading the comments and taking a cold shower has saved me $200!

K. Foster and newglocker10mm like this.
  19. H@zmatt

[email protected]