Barrel preservation and buildup prevention

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 04LS1GTO, Jan 7, 2010.

1. 04LS1GTO

04LS1GTO

For about 5 years now I have used the same method for cleaning my pistols whether they be Sig Sauers or Glocks. I was recently told that if I don't shoot my gun on a regular basis that it may be to my advantage to run a patch slightly lubed with CLP through my barrel. The guy at the range who told me this said it preserves the barrel and when I do fire the gun that it makes the barrel a little bit easier to clean afterwards.

Anyone use CLP to preserve their barrel? I guess it wouldn't kill me to try it, but I want to see if this actually serves a purpose. I have used CLP since day one, but I've never used it to lube/preserve the inside of my barrel.

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

You can use Pro Shot One Step, CLP or whatever else just swab it after the usual thorough cleaning let it set for 1 - 2 minutes and run a clean patch through with a jag to remove the excess.

3. voyager4520

voyager4520

I do it. I have an extra nylon bore brush that I use to wrap patches around so that the surface of the patch makes the best possible contact with every part of the bore. After the entire barrel is clean and dry, I run a lightly oiled patch through it. I then run two clean dry patches through it multiple times to collect all the excess oil that I can. I want a microscopic protective layer of oil, not a big enough layer of oil to collect excess residue from shooting and/or possibly blow the gun up.

With a Glock you probably don't need to do it, but it's custom practice with most other carbon steel barrels.

4. PipesandGOP

PipesandGOP

I just clean with Hoppe's on a patch, brush, patch until clean then run a patch with some rim oil through it. Works for me and has worked for people for a pretty damn long time as rim oil's been around and widely used just about forever.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  5. TeddyB

TeddyB

What did you use to lube and protect the inside of your barrel before the range guy told you to use CLP?

6. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

My thoughts exactly.

Now I don't lube my barrel on my pocket gun. Collects too much lint if I do.

But all my rifles, pistols or what not have Eezox and or CLP soaking them. I put them away wet per say. :embarassed:

One wet patch a day keeps the rust monster away!

7. 04LS1GTO

04LS1GTO

I didn't. I've used CLP on rails and the outside of the barrel and anywhere else I lube on the pistol, but I never got into the practice of intentionally leaving oil in the barrel. I would clean the barrel and then run a CLP saturated patch through it, but would then mop the oil out of the barrel before firing.

8. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

I have used Hornady One Shot Gun cleaner and dry lube. I works for me... The difference is hard to notice but if you are not shooting the gun all the time it can make a difference. BTW, lint does not stick to it.
    I mostly use it for my reloading press and cleaning dies...