GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just curious. I have an extra Alpha Wolf barrel lying around for my Gen 5 G34 and was thinking about having it ported and seeing if it reduces muzzle flip any. I already grip tight af when shooting so muzzle flip isn’t a major issue, but if it can be better then I’m all for it lol Also since I have. Gen 5, it does not have the cutout in the top of the slide, would I have to port the slide as well? Didn’t really want to go with a compensator due to the extra length and weight. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
If the pistol is going to be a range toy then porting would be fine, but really unnecessary in 9mm imo. If it's ever going to be used as a defensive pistol I would caution against it. In fact, you could not give me a pistol that was ported if I were going to use it in a defensive situation. Hot gas and particulates get ejected out of the porting at high speed. While that isn't an issue at the range where the pistol is held at arms length all the time, and you have eye protection, it's quite different if used defensively because it may be held close to the body in some situations, under the line of sight and you may not be wearing eye protection at the time. A face/eyes full of hot gas and particulates is not a good thing at any time, particularly not in a defensive shooting.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Gen 5, it does not have the cutout in the top of the slide, would I have to port the slide as well?
Really? I had never noticed from looking at the pictures of the newer 34. Does the Gen 5 G34 use the same recoil spring as the 17? I'd be curious as to slide weight difference. I thought that is why they did the cutout on the Gen 3 & 4 guns. :dunno:

Sounds like a lot of gunsmithing to me. I'd keep it stock.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Some swear by it, others laugh at them. If you think it's worth it then you can buy a secondary barrel for about $100.00.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh ok I might look at just getting an elongated barrel with ports to try out. It is a range toy only, so I’m not worried about the debris. And yes, the Gen 5 removed the cutout for some reason. I believe the rsa is the same as the 17

·
Registered
318 Posts
Really? I had never noticed from looking at the pictures of the newer 34. Does the Gen 5 G34 use the same recoil spring as the 17? I'd be curious as to slide weight difference. I thought that is why they did the cutout on the Gen 3 & 4 guns. :dunno:

Sounds like a lot of gunsmithing to me. I'd keep it stock.
Yes, the RSA is the same for the Gen5 G34 and Gen5 G17.

Part#33786 Recoil Spring Assembly dual - 9mm G17Gen5,G34Gen5MOS (marked 1-3)

I've had ported firearms. I would never do it again. YMMV
Very messy with gas and debris (gun powder etc.). The perceived "recoil reduction" was not worth it for me. ;)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
You say you have a good grip and that muzzle rise is minimal. What do you expect to gain? It's your money and your pistol, so if it's just for jollies, fine, but you are probably going to be disappointed.

·
MacGyver
7,001 Posts
Placebo effect is strong.
A louder muffler on your car makes it seem like more power--- 5-10% more HP guaranteed! Changing springs, rods, and adding doo-dads on the pistol makes it seem "better"-- but in ways hard to measure, but many will still swear and testify to their choices.

A sellers paradise. Free samples-- while they take your CC info!
https://www.nugenix.com/
https://enzyte.com/

Reactions: mike from st pe

·
Registered
182 Posts
If the pistol is going to be a range toy then porting would be fine, but really unnecessary in 9mm imo. If it's ever going to be used as a defensive pistol I would caution against it. In fact, you could not give me a pistol that was ported if I were going to use it in a defensive situation. Hot gas and particulates get ejected out of the porting at high speed. While that isn't an issue at the range where the pistol is held at arms length all the time, and you have eye protection, it's quite different if used defensively because it may be held close to the body in some situations, under the line of sight and you may not be wearing eye protection at the time. A face/eyes full of hot gas and particulates is not a good thing at any time, particularly not in a defensive shooting.
This bears repeating and amplification. I’ve seen this with ported pistols when shooting from weapon retention positions. A little bit of copper or lead up the nose can be a bloody mess. Just FYI, improperly timed revolvers can do something similar if they’re shaving lead or have an unacceptable cylinder gap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a 20c and really like the way it works with the 10mm cartridge. I'm not sure on a 9mm if it would be worth the effort. It might be easier to just buy a C model with the comp/porting already done. To each their own.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Porting is for bowling pin shooters.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
G34 is already about as low recoil as a polymer pistol gets. I can’t see how porting the barrel will make much of a difference

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
A USPSA shooter with a ported Glock (Why? It put him in Open with none of the other advantages of a race gun.) had very weak cycling and many malfunctions with cheap ammo. His gun without superfluous holes shot the same stuff reliably.

·
I'm not retired
7,146 Posts
Though I agree the G34 doesn't need to be ported to shoot it fast, when trying to reduce muzzle flip, every little bit helps. If I were going to port a G34, I'd have it done EXACTLY like the OEM G19c. Also, I'd have the ports as close to the muzzle as possible...not so much for more fps (though it helps, some), but for more leverage. 9mm is a bit weak, so the closer to the muzzle end of the barrel, the better the ports work, and the few fps gained also aids in more pressure to the ports. The downside to ports as far forward as possible is some of that extra leverage gets from the barrel to the slide. It may disrupt cycling. You'd have to keep that area lubed with a high temp syn grease and it'll get dirty, fast. If you clean it after every range session or every couple hundred rounds, you'd be ok. If you can't find someone to do it like the G19c, but closer to the muzzle, I'd pass.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts