Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have owned Glocks for years but only recently purchased my first Gen 5, a 17 just like my son carries on the job. After about 400 rounds I began to notice marks on the inside of the slide just in front of the breech face opposite the election port. I’ve attached photos. Is this normal? When the slide is in lockup you can push the chamber down about a half a millimeter.
Material property Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior Metal
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Automotive design

·
Mr. Awesome
12,808 Posts
I’m not much of a photographer, but here are a couple to compare to:

G22.4, from early 2013. Primary duty sidearm. Well over 10k rounds:

G45.5, bought late 2020. Under 100 rounds.

G23.5. Bought late 2020. Under 100 rounds.

·
I'm not retired
8,488 Posts
Got 8 Glocks with a G41 being the one with the highest round count at just under 6000. There's no marks like that on it or any of my others including a pair of G35's that I run AW sig barrels in...no marks on those, either. Normal??? I doubt it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Both of my Gen 5 guns (17 and 19) show similar marks. The 19 has about 1500 rounds and the 17 is a little over 1000. To me, it just looks like a finish wear issue. I also noticed on both slides where the wear is, the surface appears to be slightly raised. You can see it has a lower edge to it. I don’t know if previous generations had the same raised surface; I’ve only owned Gen 5 pistols.

G17 (~1000rds):

G19 (~1500rds). This slide was refinished (nitrided) when I had the optic cut done. All the rounds fired were after the refinish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
If it’s digging into the metal, then it’s a problem. I don’t see any of that happening in these pictures. It looks like finish wear to me. Gen5’s finish does not hold up like finishes of the past. The metal under the finish is treated. Don’t worry about it. If it bothers you, as been posted ask glock what they think.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
There is something definitely wrong with the firing pin hole. It appears to be eroding away. I would call Glock and send them the pics.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If it’s digging into the metal, then it’s a problem. I don’t see any of that happening in these pictures. It looks like finish wear to me. Gen5’s finish does not hold up like finishes of the past. The metal under the finish is treated. Don’t worry about it. If it bothers you, as been posted ask glock what they think.
It’s not just Gen 5. The gen 3s that are currently being built along with the recently built gen 4s all have the same crappy finish. My Glock 20sf built in august 20 has marks on the slide from just breathing on it

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It’s not just Gen 5. The gen 3s that are currently being built along with the recently built gen 4s all have the same crappy finish. My Glock 20sf built in august 20 has marks on the slide from just breathing on it
Yes, you are correct as this newer finish is what glock is using today on all their guns. I was talking about the OP’s glock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.