Barrel on my Glock 19 after 100 rounds

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by idol8, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. idol8

idol8

I tried using CLP and I am not sure if I cleaned it all the way, the pics show how not smooth the bore is. Is it because the barrel is still being broken in, or did I do a bad job cleaning it??
    I posted before, and got lots of responses but this time I have pics to explain it better.

Click the pic to enlarge them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It's probably the excess black phosphate wearing off. I would not loose any sleep over it.

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

What ammo are you shooting? Any reloads and is so what bullets?

4. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

It may be pitting. Some Glock barrels do it.

5. idol8

idol8

it was Walmart winchester 115gr and what is "Pitting"?

6. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto Guest

No, I don't think it's pitting. The problem in my opinon is that Breakfree CLP is a poor performer in cleaning. It's a solvent mixed with a PTFE type lubricator. That's why you have to shake up the bottle each time before use.

Get a good bore cleaner like shooter's choice. Not Hoppes. Although I love Hoppes and use it all the time, for tough barrels, I stick with a "bore cleaner."

You want one that will remove copper and lead fouling.

What I recommend is you spray the inside of the barrel first with something like Gun Scrubber. Than, soak a patch of the bore cleaner and run it in the barrel for a good soaking. Let the barrel sit for about 10 minutes, while you're cleaning other parts of the gun.

Next, get a bronze brush and dip it in the bore cleaner. Next, brush the inside of your bore numerous times with the bore cleaner saturating the brush.

Next, get some more soaked patches and run them through the barrel until no more fouling comes out. Those lines you see on the polygonal rifling will disappear.

Finally, use dry patches to clean up the bore, followed one more time with a "wash" of gun scrubber. Put a nice thin coating of an oil on the outside of the barrel as well as a wet patch with oil down the inside of the barrel. Followed by another dry patch down the barrel and you're done.

Use the oil sparringly, don't over do it like the Exxon Valdez oil spill incident in Alaska.

7. Oofty Goofty

Oofty Goofty Guest

What 10mmAuto said. +10 on the Shooters Choice. The stuff is great! You can use the CLP (I like Break Free) for the oil steps.

For copper and lead fouling try some Montana Extreme or Butch's Bore cleaner once in a while.

I used to run the bronze brush through back and forth once for each shot, but now am old and lazy and only do about 50 times.

8. Bradd D

Bradd D

I stopped all the anal cleaning nonsense on pistol barrels a long time ago. I just clean the chamber and run one pass with a Bore Snake when I clean the gun every 500 rounds.