close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Barrel Cleaning

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by nyordak17, Feb 22, 2005.

1. nyordak17

nyordak17 my dream gun!

guys i have a question... is it possible to damage the rifling of the barrel when you use a Steel bore brush on Glocks?
    1st time ko kasi gumamit ng Lead Bullets, before i use FMJ reloads. Sobra dumi nung ginamitan ko ng Lead, hindi kaya ng Nylon bore brush so gumamit ako ng Steel but after that may napansin akong scratches on one section inside the barrel... Kala ko tinga tinga lang so i decided to brush it again pero di pa din natanggal. Gumamit na din ako ng Bore snake nalinis naman but the scratches is still there. What do you think guys? Did i damage the rifling or it's just a hard tough Lead Tinga? hindi ko naman pinwersa ang paglilinis... It's my first gun that's why i'm a little worry. Any experience similar to this case? will the scratches affect the performance of my pistol? Thanks in advance guys! your comments are deeply appreciated!:)

2. 9MX

9MX Rei!

i think steel brushes are not supposed to be used because of potential damage. try doing a search on the general glocking forum:)

3. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

What did you use the silver colored brush or the bronze colored ones? It shouldn't get scratched like that, acutally i've used both in my G17 barrel without any problems. Lead lang siguro yan wag kang mag-alala.

4. jasonub

jasonub

as long as groups remain the same. forgetaboutit

5. nyordak17

nyordak17 my dream gun!

i used both of them, is thre any difference between the two? Thank u sir! :)

6. Putok-Glock

Putok-Glock

Most probably its lead. Its very stubborn to remove. I used to shoot lead heads too. What I did was cut the bristle of an old bronze bore brush to about 1mm long so it would be very stiff and hard. I use it to scrape the lead out. If its lead, I could feel the short bristles biting thru it. If its bare steel already, the brisle will just slide. Its very effective but still time consuming. And I make it a point to clean the barrel below 300 rnds and clean it thoroughly, otherwise the probability of having a 'kaboom' could be high. Later I shifted to teflon coated heads made by 1st option and the leadng is gone. More expensive than lead but cleaning materials and time used are greatly reduced. Teflon coated heads by other makers Ive tested are not as effective, still leads the barrel heavily.

7. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

The lead deposits is called "leading". It maybe due to soft alloy used, too much velocity, too fast burning powder, or bullet not swaged, or other reasons I can't remember at this time.

I clean by using copper mesh. I wrap 2 layers of Chore Boy over a stiff nylon brush & work it back & forth on the barrel. Do this dry. Watch the lead flakes fall off! (Chore Boy is copper mesh na pang linis ng kaserola). This method has not harmed my barrels. YMMV.

8. vega

vega

Back there I used steel brush to clean the barrel but it didn't do any harm to my bore. That leading is really hard to remove. I had a coping saw blade with the sharp egde removed and about 3mm from the tip angled at 90 deg. Yan ang pang kutkot ko sa stubborn leads. Just make sure na hindi matalas ang edge ng blade.

Also I have my barrel soaked overnight with Hoppes 9. Hindi kaya ng isang daan lang ng soaked basahan.

vega

9. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Silver colored is stainless steel and other one is made of bronze/brass. To be safe just use the bronze brush since it's softer than the steel brush.

10. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Hehehe, dre, kwento mo yung nakalimutan mo tanggalin yung patch sa loob ng barrel tapos nag IDPA ka. ;f

11. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

nyordak17 : the nylon brush wont do much for you. like what batangueno said, use the brass/bronze brush and try to let the hoppes sit a little longer.

i read somewhere in this forum that stainless brush are no-nos. tey doing a search. good luck.

12. vega

vega

LOL;z
    Nandoon ka ba non? Ang gulat ni Jimmy nung makita nya yung butas...parang shotgun slug. Good thing the patch was at the muzzle crown and not at the chamber side. Baka tumaas ang pressure sira ang G19 ko.
    nyordak - if you decide to soak it overnight don't forget to remove the patch.

vega

13. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I was not there yet when it happened. Kinwento na lang sa akin nila Jimmy tapos pinakita kung gaano karaming patch nilagay sa butas for a 9mm. ;f Miss those days.

14. vega

vega

Yeah, miss those days too. Back there twice a month ang practice. Dito twice a year yata ang practice ko.:(

vega

15. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

I use a bore snake just before I insert the magazine sa umpisa ng shooting session.

16. nyordak17

nyordak17 my dream gun!

Guys thank you so much for the replies... You are all right
    Leading nga lang... kala ko nagsgassan barrel ko. ;g
    i soaked it overnight with Hoppe9 just like Vega did, then paulitulit kong binrush using bronze brush. Haaayyy! Maraming salamat po s inyong lahat! :) :cool: