close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

barrel cleaning tips

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by cebuboy, Dec 28, 2004.

1. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

hi bogs, most of us here shoot lead most of the time due to cost. care to share tips on how to get the lead out of our pistolas' barrels:) i like to shoot but dont like to clean the barrel.

2. julianz

julianz toxic master

Bay..this what i do which is (recommended by veteran shooters and BOG's)..lubog mo sa kerosene/wd40 or kerosene/AB80 mixture over night yung barrel then brush it the next day or kung may hopes 9 better.

BEST : buy spare barrels ;f
    give me the dirty ones ill clean it and keep it ;f

3. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

hahaha, the hardest part to clean is the area after the chamber. cant seem to get em all out. how bout revolvers? is it ok to pour kerosene/gas inside the barrel and cork it in overnight?

4. julianz

julianz toxic master

Wheelgun ? nako ..Perhaps sir Ante can help you with that.

5. SMBeerDealer

SMBeerDealer Member

I scrape the lead fouling in the chamber with a flared .30 caliber shell after soaking it in kerosene. I softens the lead up a bit but you still have to scrape with a bit of pressure as it really tends to stick and this may cause FTF, FTE, etc. You can see how thick it can really accumulate when you look at what you're able to take off. Hope this helps. ;)

6. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I think I got something right during the break-in phase of my 40cal. The armscor chamber and land-groove areas aren't really smooth, I'd say it's on the rough side. But I've never really needed to scrape lead out of it and only need a patch soaked in FP-10 wrapped in a nylon brush. The longest I've gone before doing the FP-10 routine was close to 2K rounds of lead-only shooting. Wala pa ri'ng build-up.

My old singlestack ang glock barrels are another story, however. Lead build up is uneven and in lumps. I had better luck cleaning it with hoppes and fine steel wool.

7. Hermo Gut

Hermo Gut

Just like Julianz said, plus I use Boresnake soaked in kerosene (around 4-5 passes), then finish it off with dry patches (with Hoppes No.9 ).:)

8. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Yeah, brass-brush the barrel with kerosene and Hoppe's #9, or CLP Barrel Cleaner (comes in a big can). But, whatever you do there will be some lead in there. Best not to get upset about it. Ganoon talaga ang buhay....nothing's perfect.

I switched to revolvers from semiautos, partly because I don't like to clean. Unfortunately you can't - obviously- just detach a revolver barrel after each shooting session and sink it into kerosene, as you can with a semiauto. Hmmm.... I suppose it won't hurt to sink the entire revolver into kerosene - Mang Dolpho dunks an entire 1911. On the other hand, the grips on my 686+ are rubber. Eh, brush na lang.

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

try to look for a good supplier of hard cast lead bullets. i usually just pass a bore mop and patches until there's no more black crud that sticks to the patches.

i use hoppe's no.9 and a bronze brush when there's unusual thick and uneven lead build-up like when i lent mc_oliver my CZ and he used lead reloads. ang hirap tanggalin ng tingga, iniwan ko na lahat ng hindi ko ma-scrub.

10. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

;f Kala ko naman kasi nagmamadali ka'ng kunin eh kaya 'di ko na nalinisan. 'Di bale pinolish ko naman yung internals eh, feel mo ba? ;f

11. Dok

Dok Rimfire Fan

guys i heard you can use "2T" ba yun? motor oil for motorcycles o additives? not sure. They said it can clean barrels and remove lead fouling and can be used as lubricant. care to comment on this.;a

12. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

how did you do it? i just shot mine with a 100 rounds of fmj.

13. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

i think it can lubricate, dunno about it removing lead. it has a cherry scent too:)

14. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

I used about 400 rounds of fmj. In between cleanings using only a nylon brush and FP-10, no brass or steel brushes whatsoever. Twice (after every 200 rounds) I used bore paste and followed the instructions at the back of the tube. After that puro lead na.

15. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

thanks for the info. what i did is after shooting 100 fmjs, cleaned it with nylon and clp hen lube it with fp-10. then shot another hundred of true weight tmj. then shot 200 lead heads. most of the barel is clean except around the forcing cone area. maybe i should shoot a lot more fmj. what do you think?

16. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

ed brown or wil schuemann has an article about breaking in a new barrel.

iirc, you use jacketed bullets (fmj) and swab out the barrel with a bore mop and patches until it comes out clean after each shot for the first 10 rounds.

17. atmarcella

atmarcella

i didnt know barrels had to be broken in^2 i think at first i shot copper jacketed armscor bullets around 100 rnds then 900+ rnds of teflon, you guys think my barrel is still ok?

18. 9MX

9MX Rei!

don't worry about it, both of my guns didn't have the proper break in either (based on the posts here),and they're fine....yung shooter ang hindi;e

19. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Treat your barrel with Militech. After wiping the bore with Militech once, the lead goes away after a few brush strokes only.

20. 9MX

9MX Rei!

alin yan? yung grease or yung oil?