close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

barrel cleaner

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by pong, Feb 12, 2006.

1. pong

pong

i heard that hydrogen peroxide mixed with
    vinegar can clean barrels...

is this effective with lead? havent tried this yet...

anyone know the formulation of this?

thanks!

2. isuzu

isuzu

I believe they're both corrosive. Just buy Hoppes No. 9 or Birchwood Casey if Hoppes is not available just to be on the safe side.

3. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

soak it in kerosene overnight. hoppe's no. 9 is basically kerosene. then use kleenbore's lead away cloth. it does a nice job of getting rid of those pesky lead deposits.

buy a dental pick pang kutkot ng hindi talaga matanggal na tingga

4. bertud ng putik

bertud ng putik

how about prestone brake cleaner? pede ba sa barrel ng .45 ko?

5. toxic

toxic

Tama po Gaas lang talo talo na.

6. i_am_infinity

i_am_infinity Pang Altar

that's what i use..and some friends who've been shooting long time na...soak it for 15 to 20mins and then wash it with dishwashing liquid and water tapos re-lube with lots of oil...this ONLY works for stainless barrels...this is just my opinion i'm not saying u should go for it...it's just my experience that's all :)

7. Django

Django

A new barrel costs a lot especially the signature ones. Why risk destroying one with home brewed concoctions when our gun stores are awash with gun oils and solvents at reasonable prices?

I would never pour vinegar and agua oxigenada inside the bore of my P15,000 Barsto barrel and risk damaging it ;P when there is a 59 ml Hoppes No. 9 solvent available for less than P500. Or WD 40 at around P200.

:)

8. jasonub

jasonub

the are only 3 things that go through my barrel.

1. patch with hoppes 9 let soak till you finish cleaning other parts
    2. after cleaning, tissue wad till it it comes out clean
    3. bullets (plated) thus no leading

9. GMV

GMV

Guys, how about ported barrels? How do you clean the ports (or do you leave them alone)? Thanks

10. kiddie

kiddie

A barrel is not worth buying if it cant stand the H2O2/white vinegar mix. Ive been using it with my Armscor with no damage.
    It will make your barrel shining clean.

Its a 50/50 mix, 3%H2O2/Coconut vinegar. Try it first using a cotton bud and see just how much more crud will it take even after pre cleaning with Hoppes.

WARNING! This is very unforgiving to Blue Finish. Rinse with Water and BakingSoda, WD-40, or Break Cleaner and lube immediately.

I use Fully Synthetic Motor oil. U can add viscosity improver like STP and Metal conditioner like PERTUA if u got these in ur garage.

11. vega

vega

I just use traditional cleaning solvents. Commodity ang sukang paombong dito and I have to drive 30 miles one way just to but a gallon.

vega

12. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Baka gusto mong lumipat dito sa San Diego, maraming malapit na Asian stores. Lahat ng gusto mong Pinoy food & ingredients nandito.;)

13. vega

vega

I'll pass, my work is only 7 miles away from home.

vega

14. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

If you don't like commercial gun solvents like what fellow BOG'S advice, I have one formula for you...ED'S RED.

;c

15. isuzu

isuzu

You might want to read this section from www.schuemann.com:

Precision Shooting Magazine February,'98, letters to the editor, the first from Glen Fryxell, PhD, who is a chemist. He starts out quoting from an earlier article, and then offers comments of his own, ""... mixing (ammonia) with solvents that contain 1,1,1-trichlorethane... is also bad news!" This is excellent advise and should be bold-faced, underlined, and extended to include any chlorinated solvent (TCE, carbon tetrachloride, etc.). Ammonia reacts with chlorinated solvents to form ammonium chloride salts. Ammonium salts are hygroscopic (absorb water from humid atmosphere), and the chloride ion is one of the most corrosive species around as far as steel is concerned. This combination will corrode any steel surface, stainless or otherwise. The take home lesson here is, "Don't mix cleaning solvents." (Personally, I won't allow anything than has chlorine in it anywhere near my barrels for this reason)."

February,'98, a second letter to the editor, this one from Greg Bowman, pertaining to corrosion and solvents. "... In the absence of detailed information on the makeup of the various bore cleaners, good advice may be: 1) Do not mix (or use in tandem) bore cleaners of different manufacture..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Certainly DO NOT ever use a stainless steel brush to clean out a barrel. The stainless bristles are much harder than the steel bore and the result will be to create deep scratches in the bore surface. When we use our IPSC pistols like sub-guns, as we often do, we apparently can raise the bore surface temperature up to the annealing range, based on the color I have seen on some barrel bore surfaces. Therefore, the bore surface of our barrels likely has been preferentially annealed, and could be quite a bit softer than the barrel outer surface would test. Even the brass/bronze brushes, which have bristles which are as hard as mild steel, or the lead removers, which use a hard brass mesh to scape the lead from the bore, may well be able to scatch the bore surface of a stainless steel barrel. Any scratching of the bore surface will naturally lead to increased bore surface wear, leading, and coppering. My recommendation would be to never use any kind of a bore brush to clean a 416 stainless steel pistol barrel, especially if it has been exposed to strings of rapid fire.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally would not use any home brew on my firearms' barrels. The vinegar is not damaging your Armscor barrel - just yet. Wait for the long term effects.

16. pong

pong

what's that? gasoline?

17. Chie

Chie

Mang Danny,

I used to lived there in S.D. San po kayo nakatira?

Nanay ko po ay nasa Chula Vista

Buhay pa po ba ang Kabayan bakery and their famous cheeze roll?

;f

18. kiddie

kiddie

EDs RED = 1 part ATF
    + 1 part Kerosene
    + 1 part Varsol ( Turpentine will do)
    + 1 part Acetone ( from any drug store)

....Certainly much much better than Hoppes...Try it...

WARNING: ACETONE MAY MELT YOUR PLASTIC GUNS...Some omit this in their mixture.

10 vols H2O2 = 3% H2O2...Only For Those Who Got The Nerves...
    Guarantee Is Yet To Be Written...AYOR...

19. pong

pong

how safe is this? to the barrel?
    is this non-corrosive?

btw what does varsol exactly do?

20. kiddie

kiddie

... how safe is this? to the barrel?
    is this non-corrosive?...

Ed's Red Won't do anything to your barrel except get all those dirts out...Its is a good protectant as well...

Varsol is a high grade mineral spirits that can cleanout the lipophilic and hydrophilic contaminants from your gun. It works synergetically with the other ingredients of Ed's Red.