close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

barrel change out ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by tlish, Feb 8, 2007.

1. tlish

tlish ammo liberator

my husband is considering getting a g22 or g23, but wants to use a 9mm barrel for competition. what events would this exclude him from in gssf? is this, in general, even a good idea? i'm very "stock," so this makes me nervous.

thanks!

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

only class it'd be legal for is Unlimited. what sort of advantage does he think the 9mm will give him over a 40? i've done pretty good with a g22,g27, or g35 in GSSF. i've never tried or used conversion barrels, that may be why i have near 30 glocks.

3. sigfan2340

sigfan2340

Ok, this is going to sound like a snotty reply but it's not....

Why doesn't he just buy a Glock 17? It's the same size as a 22.

4. tlish

tlish ammo liberator

he wants a 9mm because it's cheaper to shoot than the .40. but he wants the .40 just in case he feels like carrying it. but i think that's ridiculous because he has to compact 1911's for carry and a .380 bug. why not just get 9mm for competition. so, basically, he said he'd listen to y'all. i'm hearing that he should just get the 9mm, and i'm gonna tell him you said so!!!! ;)

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i've not had as good of results with the 9s so i sure wouldn't say to get one. i bought a 17,17L, and 26 and used them for 2 matches before going back to the 40. the differance in price of the ammo for a GSSF match would be around 20-30 dollars at most for all 4 classes he'd be able to shoot with a g22 or g23.

6. tlish

tlish ammo liberator

i know .40 is more accurate, but this is just a fun thing for us. we're not looking to be serious competitors, and money really is an issue. especially because this will be the same gun he uses for idpa as well.

7. sigfan2340

sigfan2340

If he plans on using it in matches then I would go with the Glock 34.

8. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Hello folks, If you like I will in put my observation. You can look at this many ways but I think the is you look at what caliber has won the most matches it is the 9mm. Why is ammo is or was so cheep. As for accuracy it is not the gun it's the shooter. His or her shooting ability not the gun. Some master class shooters are using the G37 because it makes big holes on the target. So what I think this boils down to is what are you (the shooter) most at ease with and shoot best with. I have yet to see any proof that any one caliber is more accurate than any other. For self defence shooting I will say this you want the largest caliber you can shoot well. Meaning more stopping power.

Pharaoh:supergrin: