close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Barnes triple shock bullets

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, Jun 26, 2004.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Anyone use the Barnes triple shock bullets and have reports on how they worked? Specifically I'm looking at tougher critters like bear and elk. Or the X bullet for that matter.

2. 2240

Have not used the 3X. Have used the 130 gr. 30 cal XLC in 300 Win Mag and loaded for my buddy who shoots 300 Weatherby Mag. Someone out there is now going to cry, "those are too light". Well, I fired twice at a spike bull elk at 150 yds broadside and both went through. My bud shot three rounds out of his 300 Weatherby (3600 FPS) at a 5-point bull at about 300 yds and two went through and one hit a rib and was recovered under the skin on the other side. The bullet that was recovered mushroomed just a little, that's why the Barnes penetrate so much. That's my experience with them. Hope this will help. In my opinion though, the Nosler Spitzer Partitions are tough to beat. They have good ballistic coeficients for long range shots and good weight retention/penetration, and they have years of track record.

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I've been shooting Hornady Interlocks out of my .358 win so far because they are 1/4 of the price. Fine for target fodder, but not so good on the performance reviews.

I think I'll give the Barnes a go. My velocity is MUCH less (2250fps). If the bullet stays together it should be able to drive in there without too much trouble though.

Thanks

4. tjpet

tjpet

Around here a lot of folks like the .30 cal. 180grn. X for all BG no matter what the cartridge. I've used them and they work well but I still think the original Nosler partition is the best all around BG slug going in the area of premium hunting bullets. FWIW I've found the Remington Core-Lokt and original Speer hot core to do equally as well. And they're a heck of a lot cheaper.