Glock Talk banner

Barnes TAC-XP all-copper bullets--I'm convinced!

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  clarkstoncz 
#1 · (Edited)
Just posted a note about reloading Barnes 125g. bullets in my 357SIG.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1356994

---------------------------------

29 July--chonografed a batch today...start screen at 10', about 105dF, 4.5" barrel--1288FPS, SD 12, batch size 10. Speer once-fired nickled cases, 8.2g. SR4756, Barnes TAC-XP 125g., Winchester Small Pistol primer, OAL 1.14".

#4 ·
Nice results. I carry the Corbon loaded DPX's in my g33. Very happy somebody has tested them now. Thank you so much for doing that. Certainly reaffirms my belief in them.
TY and you're welcome. After shooting groups today and reevaluating pressures*, I settled on 8.2g. of SR4756, 0.7g. below my former PD load with Hornady XTP124s**. Velocity at 10' is almost 1300FPS, and functionality is perfect. Today I'm loading enough for all magazines plus more.

* as nearly as we amateurs can do so
** That load was pretty hot at a little over 1400FPS from my 4.5" barrel, but it too functioned perfectly.

#5 · (Edited)
I've never shot anything other than targets and water bottles with the DT Barnes
loads, but know that the same X bullet in DPX form has been very efficient on the
streets, regardless if there is much data on them quite yet.

The big drawback is the high cost but you pay for hi performance with most products
these days.

The ability to expand fully with 100% weight retention in soft targets is remarkable.
That it also penetrates deeply and smashes through with hard targets is another feature
that keeps it high on my list.

I've also shot a bunch (for me) of the excellent Hornady FTX critical defense load.

Both the Barnes and FTX have impressive performance in gelatin, or at least I've been
told and read about.

Both offer the utmost technology in carry ammo in my eyes.

Others like the HST and newer Winchester loads are rare in my local.

I carry either with confidence, with a slight edge to the mild loaded 9mm for soft shooting.

That said. I live 1.5 miles from the SPEER plant, and would go back to Gold Dots-
and not blink an eye.

#6 · (Edited)
TYVM Mark S. for alerting me that Cabela's has lowered prices on these excellent bullets even more, to $17.50 from $22 from $30. I bought 10 more boxes*. :embarassed:

After continuing my search for the best powder and charge for these long bullets, I stopped at 9.2g. of HS-6 (Speer nickel cases, WSPs), which produces a velocity in the 1360s from a 4.5" barrel with start screen at 10'.

Just received a StormLake 5.2" barrel for the 31G4. It seems to be machined slightly larger on the outside than the Glock barrel, which means it fits a little more tightly in the slide, which could be good or bad. Turns out it shoots this PD load and my practice load (which uses Montana Gold 124HPs) perfectly.

Even as long as it is now (and I carry it in a large bellybag, so length is not a problem), it still handles excellently. Best pistol I've ever had; I LOVE this thing.

* My wonderful wife calls me Mr. Excess for damned-good reason. :supergrin:

#7 ·
I'd like to see Mike at Double Tap offer the 125 gr. Barnes bullet.

Would have some appeal to those wanting traditional 357 SIG bullet
weight but the advanced technology and performance of the TAC-XP.

Some guys don't like 115 grain bullets and for them the 125s would be ideal.

Whether or not they would be real screamers is unknown as the Barnes X
is pretty long, so powder capacity might be limited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.