Bar-Sto Barrels

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DeltaBravo, Feb 13, 2010.

1. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

I am thinking about purchasing a Bar Sto drop in bbl for my G23. Reasons including less issues with threat of kB, supposed improvements in accuracy, and a little but of a cool factor. On the website it says "semi-drop" in. How much machining/gunsmithing are we talking about? Opinions on the product are welcome as well.

2. Dave T

Dave T

I've owned several BarSto Glock barrels. All had to be fitted a little despite the "semi-drop in" name. I usually sent the slide to BarSto and they made sure the breech block fit easily into the slide's cut out. The one I had the longest was in a G21 and it (the barrel and gun) digested well over 25,000 rounds of mostly reloads but enough factory ammo to be confident carrying. In all that shooting I never had a weapon related malfunction. Lately I've bought KKM and Storm Lake drop ins...and they did just that.

Dave

3. mteagle1

mteagle1

The barrels are great AFTER they are fitted to the gun. I don't understand the statement about the "cool" factor. If you want to be cool dress in your camo's and field gear and go walk in the mall. Guns are not COOL TOYS.

4. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

Guns are instruments of destruction and are treated with a healthy respect in my household. Toy? Where'd you come up with that? "Cool factor" is a subjective term used to convey a sense of personal satisfaction in an aftermarket modification to an already outstanding piece of engineering. Does this definition measure up to your understanding?

Good to know about the fitting. I'll give storm lake a look. I know that the Bar Sto's have tighter chambers but not necessarily any more support on the feed ramp. Is this true of storm lakes?

5. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

How do Storm Lake and KKM's compare in accuracy with the Bar Sto barrels?

6. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Lone Wolf is probably feeling left out...just got mine, and fixin' to run a few through it!:cool:

7. up1911fan

up1911fan

I'd put Bar-Sto and KKM in the same league. LWD and Storm Lake are a step below.

8. 11bdad

11bdad 11bdad

I have a Bar Sto 9mm conversion barrel for my Sig P229R .40 SW that is very accurate. I had a local smith fit it for me. Very well made.

9. JBP55

JBP55

I agree, I like the KKM barrel but I think the Lone Wolf is the best bang for the buck. I have used several of each.

10. telecster

telecster

My Wolf G20 conv to 40 will finally get here next week. Been waiting until Nov. Final went with the 6" barrel otherwise I would be waiting until at least April.

11. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

If they're not "Cool toys" than what are they? They sure as hell aren't "Girly toys." :rofl:

12. rd3

rd3

Just got a 6" KKM and dropped in my g20. Going to the range tomorrow to try it out but one thing is for sure, It is COOL!

13. MO Fugga

^^^ Tell me how it shoots!

14. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

Bar-Sto is an excellent barrel. When I first got my conversion barrel (Sig 239 40 to 9mm) I spent 20 minutes just admiring the finish of the stainless. It is a beautifully made piece of machinery!

The reason I purchased the Bar-sto is because Lone Wolf does not make a conversion barrel for the Sig. For my Glock 23, I do have a Lone Wolf barrel. I bought it because I didn't want to have any issues using lead bullets. It is less than half the price of the Bar-sto, and it is a fine barrel.

For what it's worth: 70% of Bar-sto barrels, according to their web site, will drop right in. Mine dropped in with no fitting needed. Bar-sto will fit the barrel if needed free of charge, but, you must pay shipping.

15. frankmako

frankmako

bar-sto is a good barrel, but will have to fit it, no matter what they say. i got six kkm and one efk fire dragon for my glocks. they are just as good or better. they are true drop in. i used bar-sto in my 1911 guns. heard long wolf also make a good barrel. i am on the lookout for a used one for a g36. so you can not go wrong with the kkm, efk, or long wolf for after market barrels.

16. mikey357

mikey357 CLM

In my rather LIMITED experience--Two Bar-Sto's, three Lone Wolf, two KKM and a Storm Lake--All BUT the Bar-Sto will likely "Drop In" the vast majority of the time...

The Bar-Sto "Semi Drop In" barrels will "Drop In" about 70-80% of the time, and a few will need "Fitting"...

IF I was ONLY concerned about shooting lead-bulleted ammo, I'd look at one of the LESS EXPENSIVE Brands...IF I wanted "Gilt Edged" ACCURACY, I'd buy a "Gunsmith Fit" Bar-Sto and have someone who knows what they're doing fit it up...HTH....mikey357

17. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

It would be interesting to see a Glock fitted with all the aftermarket barrels out there and then placed into a ransom rest and fired for accuracy.

Would be great to see a comparison done that way. I would guess that they would all be pretty close to the same.

18. MO Fugga

I would like to see the results, too. I am no smith, but I do wonder the difference. Why does a barrel need "fitting"? Are there major dimensional differences in the designs of each? Or is it something else?:dunno: