close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bar-Sto barrel Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SCHunter, Dec 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SCHunter

SCHunter

I just installed a Bar-Sto barrel but have not had a chance to test fire the gun yet. Since the Bar-Sto barrel is a tighter fit, will ammo feed just as well? Just wondered....
    thanks,
    Dan

2. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

SC,

reloads may give you trouble if they aren't sized properly,they may be to large for the match chamber.If you reload and have trouble,use a Lee factory crimp die,they work great.Or you can have the chamber open up by a experianced smith.

3. SCHunter

SCHunter

Thanks for the input. I normally just shoot PMC's 115 grain FMJ so I do not anticipate having any problems.

4. Grandfather Glock

Grandfather Glock Member Emeritus

Did you install a drop-in barrel? If yes, how much tighter is the fit compared to stock?

5. Joe D

Joe D Guest

What was wrong with the stock barrel?

6. SCHunter

SCHunter

I installed the semi-drop in barrel and just needed to adjust my rear sight more towards the center. The barrel is thicker than the stock barrel so the tighter fit is noticeable out the front of the receiver when you install the barrel. I think with standard ammo the improvement with the Bar-Sto from the stock barrel may only be about 1" tighter groups. I think you would need to experiment with match grade ammo to see the real benefit.

7. SCHunter

SCHunter

Not one thing. In fact I have two spare Glock barrels. For some reason, I just had a mind set for installing a Bar-Sto barrel and am now happy.

8. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

There's nothing "wrong" with my stock Glock barrels, either, but I frequently use aftermarket barrels in all my Glocks, except for my G17.

9. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I guess I can understand the need to buy an aftermarket barrel for a caliber change, 9mm in a G35 etc. Never could understand changing the stock barrel for an aftermarket one of the same caliber other than just wanting one.

10. WalterGA

Ever fired a round through a barrel that sported a screw-on compensator, Joe?? :)

11. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I have thought about building a G34/17 Open gun.

12. WalterGA

So, a reasonable interpretation of your answer would be, "no"????:)

13. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

There are several benefts to installing a premium quality aftermarket barrel, accuracy being the most obvious.

However keep in mind that the barrel fit is a very important part of the process. Your goal is have a barrel that returns to the exact position relative to the slide each time the gun is cycled. Since the sights are mounted to the slide this ensures the barrel returns to the same position relative to the sights as well. This is the real secret to building an accurate pistol. When you are building an optic sighted pistol, with the optic mounted to the frame, then you have the additional concern of fitting the slide to the frame so that the entire top end returns to the same position relative to the frame.

There are additional benefits as well which include a tighter chamber, fully supported chamber, correctly shaped and centered feed ramp, different types of rifling, and twist rates, etc, etc, etc.

The value of an aftermarket barrel varies depending on the use you plan for your pistol.

14. SCHunter

SCHunter

The best thing I like about the Bar-Sto barrel is the weight distribution of the gun seems perfect now with the additional weight of the barrel. Just my thoughts...

15. WalterGA

Hmmmm. Why would a 9mm G19 Bar-Sto barrel weigh more than a 9mm factory Glock barrel? If so, then how much?

16. SCHunter

SCHunter

The barrel is thicker in the Bar-Sto just enough to noticeable from a weight standpoint. Not sure in terms of exact weight since I don't have a scale.
    Thanks,
    Dan

17. SCHunter

SCHunter

Very true....also, I would only recommend the change only if you have a Glock rear sight adjustment tool, or adjustable sights.

18. stevegun1

stevegun1

Walter,

Is that a federal barrel and comp on that G21? If so would you give your opinion of their products.

Also, someone please explain the Bar-Sto "semi-drop in" barrel. What specificaly needs to be fitted. Stevegun1

19. SCHunter

SCHunter

Semi-drop in means that in some instances, additional fitting of the barrel to the gun may be required by a qualified gunsmith. I imagine it would involve honing somewhere near the chamber end of the barrel. I called Bar-Sto and they said that their standard length barrel would not require fitting in my Glock 19, but in some cases with other models, slight modification is required. They were right, the Bar-Sto fit right in my gun with no problems.

20. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

If necessary, the fitting would normally be in the area of the hood or lower lug..........