close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bar-bq chicken on grill

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by wallyglock, Apr 21, 2006.

1. wallyglock

wallyglock

want to turn out some good barbq chicken on my gAS GRILL WITHOUT BURNING IT OR SEARING IT TOO BADLY

I have had good luck in past times but of last couple of tries, seem as tho it tends to burn a little at the end of cooking. I always brown chicken to 2/3rds done turning frequently, then go with the sauce a couple of times each side.

would foil be helpful? browning 1st and then cooking on foil to finish w/ the sauce?

any logical tips appreciated

wally

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

but: cook over hot flame to sear on both sides, then move to upper rack on the side of grill with the fire off. Foil underneath (on main grill) will help make it indirect heat. The burner that is on should be no more than med hi.

When nearly done start brushing thin coats of sauce, turn repeat until the desired thickness of glaze is reached.

I roll a piece of wood in foil leaving only a small hole in one end.

Put this on the burner it will make smoke.

Also if you warm the chicken in a micro wave (safer than letting it sit out to come up to temp) prior to cooking it will cook much better than if you put cold chicken on the grill. that = burnt outside with raw middle.

3. noway

noway

What are you grilling on the grill? Legs?wings?breast? all requires a different approach.

Wings and breats can cook faster than a drum or thigh. adjusting the heat according and repositioning the meats to a cooler side of the grill will effect how much the meat cooks.

4. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

I split my chicken in half, brush both sides with a mixture of olive oil and a little vinegar with some crushed redpepper flakes and put them on the top rack of the grill skin side up and lower the hood. I then turn the grill from high to low and cook for about one hour or so without turning (yes, without turning) until done. Even without turning, the skin eventually gets nicely browned. If you have to, you can turn the birds over for the last five minutes if the skin is not brown enough, but that rarely happens to me. I also baste occasionally with the oil-vinegar mixture to keep the birds from drying out. I have a gas grill, but I used the same method back when I used charcoal.

5. 97guns

97guns

the cover has alot to do with it when using a charcol grill - dont really know about gas, a couple of weeks ago i quartered a couple of birds and grilled em in the webber with the cover on for most of the time .they looked pretty good but when i went to take one for lunch the next day i found it to be undercooked, next time i will cook them with the cover on untill they look pretty good and then take the cover off to char them up a bit and that should be good to go.

6. wallyglock

wallyglock

with chicken I will try the micro wave warming, that sounds like a sound tip! have often wondered that a lot of the chicken we seem to do has probably got its share of water in it from shipping, and being ice cold then slightly thawing out ect.

ALSO I do have smoker box for small wood chips or pellets which we used before, amd the foil method is familiar too. I personally feel that smoke flavor doent really add much to good brbq chicken...! but that is to each his own to please.

thanks for all the tips !!

wally

7. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Always warm up your meat before cooking! As it has been asked, what are you cooking? It will also depend on the type of grill that you are using and how many burneres you have available to you. I stsrt off with my grill as hot as possible to sear the skin for a minute or two, then I lower the temp to medium and continue to cook and rotate the pieces as necessary. Usually after about 45 minutes I start to apply the sauce. This usually works well for me.

8. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Back in my "super thrifty" days I'd parboil a cut-up chick in a pot with a few chicken bullion cubes, a carrot, a celery stalk, and a whole peeled onion.

Then I'd finish the pieces on the grill with bottled BBQ sauce.

chicken is best grilled over indirect heat.

9. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

Try the "beer can" method some time. Your chicken will come out very moist. There are several devices available to replicate the beer can and also keep the bird from tipping over on the grill. Cook it on the indirect heat side of the grill.

10. noway

noway

If you have rotisserie attachment, i find that you can't cook a chicken any better than this way ( whole chickens ). I've done bird stuff with rice, garlic and other goodies and cook these over a electirc driven rotisserie and the bird was juicy, skin browned and smoke and heat gave it a great taste.

11. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

12. W Turner

W Turner

PDog.....I am at work. That pic is pure evil to me right now.....:drool: :drool:

13. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn 1911 user

If it ain't smoked, it's not BBQ!

Seriously. BBQ = slow smoke roasting.

14. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

This can also be done in your oven...

15. Michael Dean

Michael Dean

Of course it can, but the title of the thread was about a chicken on the grill. And being done in the oven would give it a vastly different taste profile.

16. Remander

Remander

Amen. It works great on even a gas grill. And you an add chips of wood on the side to smoke it up a bit.

I love this method to grill chicken and get a good crispy skin all around (by keeping bird on cool/low side of grill and turning it until crisp on all side).

Plug the neck with a piece of onion or tater to keep the steam inside the cavity and make her moist.

17. BrushyBill

BrushyBill

I think what you want is a rub/salting first... Pick your favorite BBQ rub, add a little salt, then rub your chicken with the mixture.. make sure to get not only the outside of the chicken, but also (gently) get some under the skin.

Then, carefully score the skin with a knife, which will help to render the fat on the grill.

Let the chicken rest in this mixture for at least 12 hours. Then, grill as normal, including any sort of outside seasoning/coating you'd normally do. If you wish, glaze with BBQ sauce at the end of the grilling process.

18. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I just made the most incredible bbq'd chicken breasts. Lightly smeared them with olive oil, then hit them up witha bbq rub, and let sit to get to room temperature. Next step starting the lump charcoal. Filled the coal pan in my water smoker,and got to temp.. Next placed the chicken on the top grate, added hickory chips and smoked (real bbq) for 3.5 hours. YUM YUM!!!!!

19. wallyglock

wallyglock

thanks for all the tips !!

the one and only one new twist I tried was the warming of the chicken pieces on the micro-wave, thanks to lethal

tupperwa...!

this prevented any flare-ups, and the chicken was done quicker and took the sauce better. used my own sauce, as usual, and it reallly turned out super !

my 90 year old mom liked it so well, she ate 5 wings ...!

appreciation to all wally