BAR .30-06 expereinces, opinions?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by TexAg, Jun 27, 2004.

1. TexAg

TexAg

Howdy yall,
    I'm new to the site, just wanted to say "howdy" and as I always have gun fever was wondering if anyone has any experience with a BAR .30-06. I was sort of looking for a semi-auto rifle with magazines so that I could use it for a variety of uses: hunting, ranch rifle, defense, etc. I like .30-06 because of power and I like having guns in the same caliber as other members of my family (my Dad has a model 700). I also have been looking at M1As, Mini-14, Mini-30, (even a Garand) but the .308s don't interest me that much since we don't own anything else in the caliber and I feel the same about the Mini-30. I will want to be able to shoot it with iron sights with the possibility of putting on a scope. The BAR Lightweight Stalker looks really interesting to me and the $883 MSRP doesnt look too bad either. Thoughts? Expereinces?
    Thanks!

2. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

I have the standard BAR mkII or whatever it's called in 30-06. It has the blued receiver and wood stock. It is by far my favorite rifle. The fit and finish is perfect. I use it primarily for deer, loaded with round nose Rem core-lokt rounds. I have a Leupold VX-II mounted with Leuopold quick release mounts so that I can use the iron sights if I have a scope problem. The trigger is also very nice. I have to say the only problem I have is with the setup of the magazine. It is annoying to have it attached to a floor plate, but it does work very well, and I have never lost a mag like I do with my remmington 742. I love my BAR, and I think it will fit your bill well.

3. TexAg

TexAg

I've had a few people try and sell me on a Garand, but I just don't want to lug around the weight and possibly go to the trouble of putting in a new barrel to make it accurate. I think I've seen far too many posts about the reliabilty problems of the Remington 7400 so looks like the BAR maybe be my choice as soon as some money comes in! I do wish the mags didn't have that hinge plate though.

4. MCM8691

MCM8691

I have a Safari grade BAR in a .300 Win Mag that I use for whitetail hunting. It has a Leupold 3.5-10x 50mm Vari-X III scope. I really like it, but it can get to be a little heavy after carrying it around for long periods (If you're getting the aluminum receiver version, this shouldn't be an issue). Mine is also equipped with the BOSS muzzle break, which really tames the recoil of the 300 WM cartridge. Overall, it is a very reliable gun, which is comfortable and easy to shoot. Also the trigger pull is very nice (like ILikeFtLbs says) right from the factory. I can highly recommend getting one.

5. mrdoright04/05

mrdoright04/05

I had a Browning BAR 30-06. That was the best shooting rifle that I had ever laid my hands on. Im still kicking myself for getting rid of it. ;1