close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Banks no longer honoring certified checks.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sheriff733, Jun 21, 2012.

1. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

I don't mean they are now worthless, but I had a certified check sent to me and went to my Suntrust bank to cash it, but was told that certified, government, or any other form of check are all now held until the funds were verified the same way as a personal check. I was kind of shocked since the whole point of the certified check was to have the funds available immediately.

Is that a sign of the times?

2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

no it's been that way for a while since the certified check scams ... think about it a watermark and a printed "certified" mean nothing in todays electronic age where funds can be moved out of an account with the flick of a mouse.

3. sheriff733

Ah ok. I haven't dealt with a certified check in years.

That makes sense.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Post something, anything, on craigslist. Wait for your first dozen or so responses and see how many are, "I only have this certified check for $2,000. I'll send it to your for your waffle maker and you can send me the overage as a bank transfer..."

5. ray9898

ray9898

No way to authenticate them like in the old days. Anyone can make a fake with a security watermark with a little effort.

6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

It's a sign of scammers making fake checks, IIRC.........

7. Singlemalt

Singlemalt In the rough

Interesting. I have deposited (2) "bank/certified checks" in the last couple weeks and the funds were available the next day.

8. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

You can thank that damned 'Nigerian Prince' for it!

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I can deposit any check from anyone and it's available immediately. That has less to do with the check type and more to do with the bank type than anything. Same bank for 20+ years etc.

10. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Some are, depends on both banks , The problem arises with banks out of CONUS... then the funds somehow go missing after they show electronically available.

It's not like the bank delivers the money to your bank to put in the vault.

11. Kyle M.

Kyle M.

That sucks I hope my bank doesn't start that crap, I'm lucky enough to bank with a bank that will even cash a personal check w/o any kind of hold. Though I don't think I've ever had more than 4 or five checks in my life. I do almost everything electronically, I also don't carry cash unless I'm going somewhere I know doesn't take plastic. As strange as it may be my lgs may be the only store I've ever been to that accepts only cash.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  12. sheriff733

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. It's been a long time since I have had to deal with a certified check. Last time, I could cash it IIRC.

Hmm. Learn something new everyday I suppose.

13. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Your bank can make a simple phone call to verify the check. That is if customer service is in their vocabulary.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

14. sheriff733

Dang, I wish I had thought of that. They didn't offer and I didn't think to ask.

Oh well. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll remember next time.

:wavey:

15. Wash-ar15

Wash-ar15

I think it depend if you have enough funds already in the account to cover the checks in case they were fake.

If you have 20k in there and you deposit a 1k check, they are apt to be less concerned

16. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

Also depends on check amount. By law the first $100 of any deposit must be made available immediately.

17. Kyle M.

Kyle M.

My bank doesn't care if you only have 10 cents in you account and have a $3,000 personal check from someone you don't know, the funds are available immediately. Last year I was laid off and was down to my last $20, I knew I needed a quick way to make money and the only thing I had to sell was my summer toy. I had a 1980 chrysler new yorker fifth avenue edition with 42,000 original miles on it that I had picked up at an estate sale for $500. It was like a brand new car triple black with every option available. I listed it on craigslist and said make offer. The next day I had a guy from wisconsin call me and tell me he could be there with a trailer and $3500 the next day. He showed up right on time with a personal check for $3500. I took it to the bank cashed it and it was available within 5 minutes. I realize it was risky but I had no choice with $20 left and 3 weeks left on my unemployment.

18. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I bank with SunTrust and they've had a sign up next to the tellers about the hold period for years and years.

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Damn, that's a LOONNNGGG hold period.

20. kylet

kylet

It was risky... If the check was bad... You would now owe that 3500 to the bank. The money wasn't transferred same day (unless the check was drawn of of the same bank you are cashing it at)... They were just covering for you

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine