Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Oregon I have never seen Ballistol on the shelves. I just learned about it from another forum board. I am curious to hear what the GT members have to say.

Have you used it? Did you like the results?

What have you used it on?

Thanks everyone,

Mark

·
Semper Paratus
28,347 Posts
Great stuff ballistol is the best.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
I've used it for putting a layer of corrosion protection oil on the metal surfaces of my Glocks and as lubrication for my knives, it works great.

My G23 is an older one that has bare steel frame rails instead of the newest nickel-plated frame rails. I had previously been using regular Hoppe's Oil for lubrication and corrosion protection. Well one of the frame rails developed this tiny, barely visible dark spot. IT WAS RUST! :shocked:

I scrubbed it away with Hoppe's #9, let it dry, then applied Ballistol and it hasn't reappeared since. Plus, wiping down the outside of a gun with oil then wiping dry, nothing makes my Glocks look as good as Ballistol.

I buy the stuff from midwayusa.com in 16oz containers. Only thing is, it has to be sent UPS Ground because it's a "chemical", so if you order it try to wait until you have a bunch of other stuff to order. The minimum charge for UPS Ground is like $10 and it stays that cost up to a certain weight.

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
I have a small can of it. Never have used it. I'm a G96 sorta guy. (smells like bubblegum)

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
Love it, stopped using RemOil and Hoppe's years ago in favor of using Ballistol, it works great. Especially if you've got Black Power guns or shoot corrosive ammo in your military guns. I've not used anything else for about 10 years now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just watched a video of a guy who did a private test with bare metal pieces, one treated with Breakfree CLP and the other with Ballistol. The pieces were put outside in the wet Washington rainy weather for a week. They were almost identical in level of corrosion. So, I like that. And this Ballistol is good for leather, rubber, nylon, wood etc. Hmmm.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I've never considered using it on my guns. I bought a big can several years ago to spray on the underside of my mower's deck to help reduce the build-up of grass gunk. I've also sprayed a layer on my garden tools.

·
****** Viejo
29,423 Posts
I've been using Ballistol on guns,knives,leather goods,etc. for several years.A couple of older Gents. have a table at the local gunshows and sell it for what seems to be a good price.tom.:cool:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
never see it around here...but I would be willing to try it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Love it, stopped using RemOil and Hoppe's years ago in favor of using Ballistol, it works great. Especially if you've got Black Power guns or shoot corrosive ammo in your military guns. I've not used anything else for about 10 years now.
Does it work better if you shoot corrosive? I have been shooting a bit of corrosive lately in my AK 74 and so far have not seen any rust. I have been cleaning with soap and water then blowing compressed air and setting it by the heater. I then apply Hoppe's oil.

Do you think that my cleaning would need to be less through with the Ballistol, or is it that if you were to miss a spot in a nook or crany the Ballistol adds a little extra protection?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts