Ballistics question - shape of a bullet

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SamP250, Jan 19, 2020.

1. SamP250

SamP250

Some bullets tips are pointed. Some are rounded. Some are flattened.

Does the shape of the tip dictate the overall damage at impact? For example, hypothetically, if a 9mm had it's normal rounded tip, and another 9mm had a flattened tip, (everything else identical) would the damage be different because of the tips? Would the flattened tip affect more area on impact and all thru the target?

Or, for example, a .40 cal does have a flattened nose. If another .40 had a rounded nose, would there be a difference in ballistics?

2. DonD

DonD

I think that's a very tough question to answer completely. Cross section of the slug/meplat, nose profile and velocity all play big roles.

Large metplat slugs such as those fired from .44, .45 and 500 calibers create large wounds and deep pentration.

As for your last paragraph, a flattened nose profile would have poorer balliistics i.e lower ballistic coefficient than would a rounded nose or better yet a pointed nose profile.

I suspect you'll get a lot of replies by tomorrow am. Don

3. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Pointed? I have seen some that looked somewhat pointed, but they are mostly for paper. Some pellets use a pointed projectile for penetration but that is another animal.
    HP will tend to make for good tissue disruption in the path and lends to earlier yaw if rear weighted enough, or expand.
    Truncated, or Flat, tend to drive straighter and crush tissue, causing more disruption than rounded or pointed.
    Round nose tends to divert in tissue more readily, and push organs and the like out of the way, more than the others.

strait shooter likes this.
  4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Short stubby slugs with flat nose wont wound appreciably different than a round nose, but longer slugs with a large flat nose can crush more tissue and drive straighter and deeper than a comparable roundnose.
    The flip side, pointed or long ogive roundnosed slugs will have more rear biased CG and will tumble, which can enhance wounding esp at high velovities.

5. skyfall

skyfall

I have never fired Speer Lawman 9m/m 124gr. FMJ,but it shows a flat point in their picture.As a general range,possibly defense,would this be better than the std. round nose? I know it depends on the pistol and I only have G45's.I just have never purchased any nor seen anyone shoot it.Thanks.