Ballistic Tips Work Better With Heavier Bullets

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 147 Grain, May 15, 2005.

1. 147 Grain

147 Grain

Ballistic Tips (BT's) were designed by Nosler for violent expansion / explosion and medium penetration on light skin type animals like deer.

For most calibers shooting BT's, you're better off using heavier projectiles with bigger Sectional Density's (SD's) than you would normally use for a regularly constructed bullet.

Why?

1. Heavier bullets for caliber are better in a BT because they tone down the violent expansion a bit and still have enough weight leftover for a complete pass-through.

2. The shock-value with the heavier BT will still be more than lighter standard bullets and you get more energy on target.

3. Short range shots also suit the larger round with a higher SD versus standard light weight bullets with less mass.

4. Raking quartering-away shots need a heavier round for adequate penetration.

5. A larger BT'd bullet is more forgiving if you shoot into the shoulder.

Example:

.270 BT's benefit from 150-gr. versus 130-gr.
    30-06 BT's perform well with 180-gr. versus 150-gr.

2. 147 Grain

147 Grain

Caution:

Standard bullets generally perform better on deer in lighter to mid-weight sizes.

Ballistic Tipped rounds are the exception to the rule as outlined in the opening post. Reported problems of a BT blowing up too quickly are generally associated with too light of a bullet.

Steve

P.S. I like a bullet to perform two things in my 30-06:

1. Violent expansion / shock.
    2. Plenty of penetration for a pass-through.

The two best rounds I am aware of, are....for:

* Light skinned / boned deer: 180-gr. Ballistic Tip from Nosler
    * Heavy skinned / boned elk: 180-gr. Partition from Nosler

3. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Ive noticed even ligher wieghts in standard soft-points constuction like say remington core-loks work better in the say the 175 grain vs the150 grain version for me, when hunting deer, in which you might get a closer shot. They dont seem to have the chance to over expand.

4. tjpet

tjpet

Don't know how much game you've killed with BT's but all I've recovered have expanded and almost passed all the way through no matter what angle the shot was taken from.

All BG BT's have thick bases, the bigger the caliber the thicker the base. This is done to ensure adequate penetration for the given caliber.

As to your analagy between the different bullet weights for the .270 and '06, that argument's been around longer then I've been alive. It doesn't amount to squat in the field.

5. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i really think people overgun and over estimate the deer gun cartridge. im not saying that ballistic tips are bad but they are more expensive and the end result is the same.

a cheap box of softpoints has always performed well for me

6. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I shot two deer with Hornady 150 grain SST's this year in a .308. Both bullets expanded great, dropped both deer. I am going to load some 165 grain SST's and check them out, but when comparing the Hornday 150 grain VS the Winchester 165 grain ballistic tip the Hornady shot much better.

7. 147 Grain

147 Grain

FYI:

Nosler says that beginning with the 30 caliber 180-gr. Ballistic Tips (and larger), the jacket's profile is changed or upgraded to a much stronger contour similar to the AccuBond (shown below).

[​IMG]

Lighter weight bullets like 165-gr. 30 caliber and lower (shown below) do not have the thicker contour which starts in the middle of the shell and goes down to the base.

[​IMG]

In summary, one might suggest that the 180-gr. Ballistic Tip is simply a non-bonded AccuBond.

[​IMG]

8. noway

noway

In the long run all works just fine. It still requires you to place the shot at the right spot.

9. 147 Grain

147 Grain

Agreed!

* Shot Placement
    * Bullet Construction
    * Choice of Caliber