close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baking your Glock???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by J007Bailey, Dec 25, 2003.

1. J007Bailey

J007Bailey

This question is going to sound ludicris for even asking but what is the max safe temp for your Glock frame? Is it possible to safely use a spray on/bake on finish at 350 deg for 30 min without the frame rails melting out of the frame? I just figured I'd ask before I go and do something really stupid. ;Q ;0

2. ldunin

ldunin Patrol Division

Frame will melt, don't don it. Due to the composition of the polymer, nothing you put on it will stick, or will but eventually will fall off. What exactly are you trying to do anyway?

3. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Krylon makes paints specifically for plastic parts, but don't do it. It'll suck.

Pay a professional if you're dying for an OD frame, or ... oh, nevermind, I almost said buy a Walther but they're not Glocks, are they?

4. whizz

whizz

I know for sure that the type of epoxy used to glue the sandwich construction of fighter plane wings sticks to the glock frame :cool:

5. WadeP

WadeP

6. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

crap, double tap

7. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

wow that is too cool, if i had an ar, i would do this:

[​IMG]

John

8. Lashlarue

Lashlarue

Heat is the enemy of a Glock. Freeze it, immerse it in Salt Water,
    Drop it on concrete, but never subject the polomar frame to heat above 130 degrees. Heat is the enemy of all plastics. First you can warp the frame, then you will melt the frame, first to go are the thin parts and then loosening of the metal imbedded for the slide then you will have a black goo. Companies like Robar will stipple the frame and give it a different look. Coating dont stick well to Polamar. They stick to metal as the Tenifer on the slide.

Lash
    ;m

9. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I wouldn't want to test this, but the published melting point of Glocks' frames is around 400*F.

For more information about dying frames, chroming slides, red-white-and-blue AR's,etc., check out this excellent site: www.iwantstobejustlikepuffdaddy.com

10. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Walter, you are overlooking the tactical advantage of a red, white & blue AR-15.

11. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

When my father was a child, he and his slightly older brother were given the task of painting their large house. My grandmother and grandfather were separated at the time, so there was no woman at home to "monitor" the kids (they were 12-13yrs. old). When my father and his brother asked my sometimes-gruffy grandfather about what color to paint the house, he replied that they could paint it any damn color they pleased, but just to get the job done, post-haste. (then he went off to work)

My grandfather was surprised?? to find that they'd decided on red, white, and blue! Wish I had a color pic of that!

12. gunplumber

gunplumber Master Gunsmith

In the Arizona Desert, with air temperatures reaching 122 F on occasion, and 30+ day stretches of 100-110F, the dashboard of my truck easily reaches 180 degrees. Doesn't melt the glocks.

I have tried some rudimentary tests and am comfortable at 180-200 degrees. This is okay for some thermally cured products - just increase the time. The locking block is a bit tight for reinsertion, but it seems to normalize after a few days.

The flexibility of the plastic (-oh excuse me , thats "space age polymer") makes long-term adhesion of most non-elasic coatings difficult at best. If the sustrate flexes and the coating doesn't, you get a flake. If the oil deep in the plastic gasses with time, it creates a "release agent" that also can cause delaminating (-"flaking").

I don't use relabeled sherwin williams coatings like duracoat because they are too thick for any close tolerance parts.

Some day I'll take the cut-off pieces of glock frame and really play with the oven.