close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Baked Potatoe Question

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Dr. Slots, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Dr. Slots

Dr. Slots

My daughters are coming down for dinner on Christmas Eve. I have my menu planned. But I would like to know about how long to bake three potatoes using a conventional oven. I have always used a microwave, one potatoe at a time since it is just me. But this is for my girls, so I gotta get it right.

My main course will be in the oven at 325 degrees, at this temperature how long should I keep them in? I know that this is pretty basic, but I honestly haven't a clue.

Thanks
    Mike

2. noway

noway

it depends on how tender you want them. But I would say 40-50mins at that temp would produce a bake potatoe that I would love to eat with some butter topped on it.

If you have any doubts, get a few spuds and slap them in and check them, adjust the time and/or temp to get just right. It's kinda hardw to screw up a bake poatatoe in a oven.

3. Dr. Slots

Dr. Slots

That was quick, thanks!

Mike

4. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Mike, I usually do mine for @ 50 minutes at 500 degrees. These potatoes are nice and soft and delicious with butter. But this also depends on the size of the potatoes, the amount of tenderness you prefer, and if there will be anything else in the oven to also absorb the heat. Normally I actually cook mine on the grill. I also, whether on the grill or in the oven, I stab the potatoes, then put a pad of butter on them and wrap in foil. This gives the best results in my opinion. If you have time do a test run to see how they come out. Good luck and happy holidays;H

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

so that they roast.

To be sure put them in the microwave do the three about the same time that it takes you to do one.

Then pop them in your oven for at least 1/2 hr.

This all depends on the size of the potatoes. Bigger takes longer if you've got huge do the micro thing twice as long as one.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Do you have a deep fryer? If so, bake extras to deep fry in chunks the next day ;)

7. AndABeer

AndABeer Proud pappy

At 325, I was gonna say about 2 hours especially if you are going to have other items in there. Size matters here as well, mutant monster taters will need to stay in even longer.

The recipe I like to use is to stab them repeatedly with a fork, brush them with olive oil and then spinkle with kosher salt (or garlic salt) and pepper. Put them directly on the oven rack and bake for an hour and a half at 350.

You have time before ChristMass eve so perhaps have a trial run with whatever looks like the best advice. Potatoes are cheap.

8. Dr. Slots

Dr. Slots

Thanks everybody for the replies, off to the kitchen for a little experimenting.

Deep Fryer? Sounds like something I would like to try. Just hope my Doctor doesn't come here;f

Mike