close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BAKED!!!!! Beer can chicken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by form0311, Aug 19, 2004.

1. form0311

form0311

I was reading some recent post here that talked about beer can chicken. Some refer to it as drunken chicken, but that can be confused with with some type of oriental dish. Its common name IS beer can chicken. Anyway, I went out and bought two 4 1/2 pound whole chickens. I also purchased a chicken and pork rub. I can not remember what brand. It really does not matter. All that matters is that it was a pre blended chicken rub from the shelve. I also bought a six pack of 16 oz budweisers. Taller the better. I got home and found out that my grill would not shut with the chicken sitting upright on a beer can. So I set the oven for 350 degrees and then I opened two of the beers and had to taste test about a inch or so from both cans. (Had to make sure that the beer was good!!!) I then greased up the two cans and shoved them up the two chickens a**. I placed them in a baking pan to catch the drippings. I then rubbed a light coat of the rub on them and put them in the oven. They cooked about two and one half hours. It was about 10 pounds of chicken all together. While waiting I had no choice but to finished off the rest of the beer. 4 16oz buds. Well someone had to do it! Once done I served with a chicken wild rice and pasta salid. The whole point of this is that it was the best thing that I had ever tasted that came out of an oven!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im a fry freak!!!!!!! What can I say. Those of yall from the south know that almost everything can be fried in bacon grease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Anyway yall give it a shot you wont be sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2. CZ-75A

CZ-75A

I've seen Steve Raichlen do a similar thing on the grill. I think I'd like mine grilled better than ovened.

3. Croaker

Croaker 0369/8532

I've seen that done before and for the life of my I can't get around the paint on the outside of the can and the plastic liner in the inside of the can. Neither can be good to eat. I'll just get a stainless steel canister and try it.
    Croaker

4. Remander

Remander

I have a ChickCan device that works great. It is not necessary to cook chickens in this style, but it is more convenient than just a can.

Rub the chicken down with spice mix combo of your choosing (Tony Chachere's, Stubb's, etc.), and fill most of the can with beer, crab boil, Worcstershire, etc. as you like. Be sure to plug the top of the chicken (neck area) with a hunk of onion or such to trap the steam inside to ensure moisture.

I put the bird on one side of my gas grill (on low) and run the other side on high. Turn it from time to time, and it crisps up the skin real nice and cooks the bird in about 1.5 hours. Use a meat thermo to make sure.

Very good chicken!

It's the only version of chicken where I like to eat the skin.

5. pluvo

pluvo Experiment G26

I like to think I invented this.

6. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man

Ya Don't Eat The Can! ;f Just eat the chicken.

Dave