close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bake-on finishes for Glock frames: how much heat can they handle?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Henry's Dad, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

Durabake, Cerakote, KG Gunkote, etc.

Anyone done a polymer frame in the oven? Durabake says 3 hours at 180 F. Can a Glock frame handle that without warping or melting?

2. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

The frame will handle it just fine.

3. smokin762

smokin762

Why do you want to go with a bake on finish?

Standard Dura Coatwill hold up fine. There is no need to bake it. You just need to let it cure longer. When I use Dura Coat, I usually let the item sit for 3-4 weeks before using it, just like the instructions recommend.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

I've used Duracoat before, and the cure time is the main reason I'm looking at a bake-on for my next project.

5. mickdundie

mickdundie

CALL GLOCK

Do not make your mind up on the replys you get on GT, or any other know it all gun forum.

You may destroy your frame if you bake it in the oven!

CALL GLOCK

Mick:thumbsup:

6. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

I have used Cerakote on (5) Glock frames. Call the folks at Cerakote, they do it all the time.

Cerakote also makes an air-cured product that is better, in my opinion, than Duracoat.

7. dwalker84

dwalker84

My business partner handles all of our Dura-Coat/CeraKote, GunKote, and other finish services in our business - He uses DuraCoat the frames with amazing success just for this reason. Using a bake on finish is not recommended. You may not notice any changes visually, but there may be slight warping of the frame which could cause potential reliability issues.

I've used the direct heat method many times to alter the backstrap hump on glocks, you have to go very slow, and keep the frame at a good distance to avoid any warping where you don't want it. I would not risk putting a whole frame in heat source required to bake on a finish..

Use Duracoat, it's much more durable on the frame then it is on the slide - It bonds to the polymer much better.

In fact my friend just did a DIY duracoat at home, only let it cure for a day, and it's incredibly durable. He is very rough on his glock, it gets rammed and slammed against door frames, cabinets, car doors, etc as he is a plumber. There is no removal of the finish, the spots where hes banged it against things actually have a DENT in the plastic, but the duracoat is still intact. I would not use duracoat on my slides as it does not hold up that great, but on the frame - it will be perfect for your needs. Just my experience.

It's your gun though.

8. smokin762

smokin762

I have Dura Coated many firearms and knife handles for myself and friends of mine. Anything worthwhile takes patients.

9. Henry's Dad

Henry's Dad woof, woof

So, sounds like to consensus is to stick with an air-dry.

Thanks everyone.

10. brand

brand

Glock's official stance is that they do not recommend any aftermarket accessories or modifications so I don't think calling them will help much. They will definitely recommend against putting any part of the gun in an oven.