Baikal Makarov With Adjustable Rear Sight

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by reniram, Feb 23, 2020.

1. reniram

reniram

What's a fair price for one in good to very good condition with three mags and holster? Other than not having the intangible cool factor of being a Soviet military model are they every bit as reliable and accurate as the earlier fixed rear sight models? Thanks guys.

2. Wurger

Wurger

Same quality. Same factories. I used one back in the 90’s for a carry gun. I had sold off my glock when the democrats were trying to outlaw “ALL” semi-autos. After they settled on the Assult Weapon’s ban I bought a KBI .380 Mak. to have at least one semi-auto. Dead on accurate and reliable. Excellent little pistol. Still have it. Now I’ll have to get it to the range for old times sake.

mikey357 and reniram like this.

3. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Good pistol, they are built like tanks. Reasonably accurate, little on the heavy side by modern standards. I really like them, have a ton of cool factor. Seems like $350-$450 is about the market on them right now.

reniram likes this.
  4. reniram

reniram

Thanks guys. Picked it up today for 375. Already have a Bulgarian from the Arsenal factory and a CZ82, both of which are excellent shooters. Looking forward to getting this one to the range.

BigBluefish likes this.
  5. DrewBone

DrewBone

They're every bit as reliable and as accurate as any other Makarov pistol, though the *edit metal adjustable rear sights on the Baikal IJ-70 Makarov models in both .380acp and 9mm MAK that were required for legal importation into the US don't hold up particularly well to abuse, so keep that in mind.
    20170901_082113.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    fflincher and reniram like this.
  6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Loctite the adj screw on the rear sight. Good pistol.

DrewBone and reniram like this.
  7. Terry G

Terry G

Good gun, I wish they hadn't had to put those sights on. The Makarov is plenty accurate with the original sights. I would go up to $400.00 maybe $450.00 in very Good condition. The holster is a plus, but the two I have have never held the pistol. I would not sell mine for $450.00. IMG_1081.JPG

fflincher, DrewBone and reniram like this.
  8. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

$375, you did just fine

reniram and Terry G like this.
  9. Bradd D

Bradd D

I had a "high cap" IJ-70 about 20 years ago.

10. Wurger

Wurger

My rear sight is all metal....not plastic.
    Never heard of plastic ones before???

DrewBone and Grumpy_old_man like this.
  11. DrewBone

DrewBone

Two decades or so ago a website aptly named "Makarov.com" (which is a very good source of reference and is still up - but only for informational purposes) offered parts for the Makarov pistols, and one such part was an updated *edit billet steel adjustable rear sight to replace the *cast metal version that came on the Baikal IJ-70 pistols as imported. It sounds as if a set of these where installed on your Makarov pistol prior to you acquiring it.

Both of my Baikal Makarovs, one chambered in .380acp and the other in 9mmMak still have their original *edit cast metal rear sights, as I was unable to locate *edit better metal replacements for either. It's not really a problem since I seldom if ever drop a firearm, but these sights were known to have become damaged easily if the pistol were to have been dropped on it's rear sight, hence the reality of an aftermarket entity offering a rear sight for these pistols that was manufactured in from *edit billet steel metal.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    reniram likes this.
  12. reniram

reniram

The holster I got holds the pistol fine, almost too well. It's a rich dark brown as opposed to the jet black that came with my Arsenal Mak which also almost holds the pistol too well. Neither one would be the best carry holster.

13. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

We own a high capacity (13+1) Baikal Mak in .380 ACP, a Bulgarian Mak in 9X18, and a relatively rare Chinese Mak in 9X18. Always somewhat preferred .380 because it was a bit more available in our area. Not a huge difference in ballistics.

The Marks have appreciated in value. We paid $180 for the high cap and around $150 for the Bulgarian Mak way back when. We’d say your $375 is reasonably well bought.

We trudge on.

14. Bradd D

Bradd D

I believe my high cap IJ-70 had a steel rear sight and I bought the gun new. I can't find any reference to plastic rear sights except this thread which mentions makarov.com producing plastic prior to doing metal.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?238408-Russian-commercial-Makarov-rear-sight

DrewBone likes this.
  15. Terry G

Terry G

The sights are metal on mine.

DrewBone likes this.
  16. DrewBone

DrewBone

You sir are absolutely correct! The original sights were indeed metal, but they were apparently cast from a poor quality alloy, which is what led the entity Makarov.com to manufacture a billet steel adjustable rear sight assembly. I was in the right book but was reading from the wrong page, sigh :(

I've edited my posts above to correct my incorrect statements.

Thank you Mr. Bradd for the correction!

My apologies folks for the misinformation.

17. Bradd D

Bradd D

No worries. That's what we're all here for.

DrewBone likes this.
  18. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Sleep easy. Makarovs run like a scalded dog in either .380 or 9x18 mm, no matter the sights.

(the original fixed are plenty accurate as is, but I wouldn't sweat over adjustable either)

Mine is a 1970s Bulgarian.

20191125_164508.jpg

reniram likes this.
  19. reniram

reniram

Nice looking Bulgarian. I see you painted the front sight (nail polish?). The small front sight is definitely tough for aging eyes :)

20. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

"I resemble that remark."

Groucho Marx. :)

Painted with Testor's Day Glo Orange model paint.

reniram likes this.