Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else been hearing bagpipes at sunset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
18,929 Posts
Has anyone else been hearing bagpipes at sunset?

I did once, many years ago. It was the strangest thing.... It was Dvořák's Symphony No 9 second movement (Going Home) played on bagpipes. it was beautiful and totally cosmic since Dvořák's Symphony No 9 is one of my favorite pieces of music.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Read something in this morning’s paper, Denver (Com)post. Apparently there is a nationwide effort that fire and police bagpipers are “playing the sun down” at sunset each day. It is a symbol of we have survived another day as we fight the good fight.

I would provide the link, but I am a technological Neanderthal, or so I have been told. I struggle with the link things.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I used to have some and was learning to play when they were mysteriously permanently damaged. I have been walking the dogs in the evening and thinking how cool it'd be to play with it so quiet and empty outside.

·
Ornery & Irreverent
11,159 Posts
No, but I'm interested in learning how to play the bagpipes.

They are pretty expensive though, so I might just get the chanter to learn on, and wait to get the actual bagpipes until later.
^^^^^^^
I believe this is still heavily recommended, especially as IIRC playing the chanter IS the first step.

·
Firm member
30,238 Posts
8BD7BB77-F858-495F-A4CE-A8B6DCA6EA05.jpeg
Out of abject boredom, I pulled these off the shelf and put in a new reed and may give it another go. Even though it’s a cheap set, I was starting to get less awful years ago but was asked to park them by my wife (who’s a Scot,) the dogs and the neighbors. I piped at a funeral a decade ago and the poor deceased kicked open the lid and gave me the finger. HH

1 - 20 of 55 Posts