close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad Year for Birds?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by FullClip, Oct 24, 2004.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Got back home the begining of October and was ready for some partridge hunting. Have been several times, but still skunked and have only seen two birds, both flushed too far away for a shot. The locals are saying that the relatively open winter follwed by the cold wet spring was bad for the mortality rate so there aren't too many brds out there. Any reports from elsewhere??
    Deer season starts next week, but haven't noticed a whole lot of sign while out in the woods. Maybe I should just buy a wide-screen TV and watch football the fall.;g

2. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Good year here in Nevada!!

3. 9508

I hunted ruffed grouse, aka 'partridge', during my tour at NAS Brunswick. They typically go through a ten year population cycle. This year may be toward the 'bust' end of the cycle. Here in NE Ohio they are present but not in any great numbers.

4. noway

noway

Birds might be bad in your area,but ducks are by the 1000s we even got ducks in some of the hwy median pools, created by the previous hurricances. One area , I witness 20 Wood Ducks and about equal in Florida'a Mallad with a few teals. All bathing and splashing about while cars zoomed by at 50-60mph 10-15yrds away.

Doves and quail are pretty much washed out. I also predict snipe season will be a blast ( pun intended) due to the nice rain waters that washed away and the mud holes created. We will know here shortly.

5. tjpet

tjpet

We've got grouse coming out-of-our-*ss here in Zion. So far it's not unusual to put up 60-70 for an afternoon outing if you're in the right spot.