close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bad video card fan...replacement?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by David N., Mar 1, 2006.

1. David N.

David N.

I've been hearing a roaring in my computer which I eventually traced to the fan on the video card. Dust removal didn't help and I think its almost dead. The card is a TI 4200. The fan is a 50mm with a two pin connector. I think I could get the old fan off if I could find a replacement, but I didn't see anything that would fit at Newegg. Would the card be ok without a fan if this one dies? I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on a fan, but I really don't want to buy a new video card right now if I don't have to.

2. Paco255

Paco255

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

go to your local cheapo computer store, and grab some sort of fan and dummy it on.

long as the heatsink fits flat and the fan blows, you're good. it's not a high end card with lots of heat, i've used em.

you *might* get away with a old heatsink off a ancient (P II) processor, (free) if you can find one, something largish and square and obvious.

just glue it on with metal epoxy, jb weld, and forget ever removing it, and don't use much.

far as that zalman, sheeze. you can buy a card for that.

4. David N.

David N.

Paco: I'd have to give up a PCI slot to get the Zalmans to fit, if that would even be enough. Besides, all three of those are three pin connectors so I'd have to change the connector on them anyway.

mitch: If I had a local computer store of any kind, I would. There may be some "repair shops" around somewhere, but the only ones I've heard about would want half the price of a new card for the cheapest fan they have. I'll probably see if I can salvage anything from an old computer for now.

5. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

good grief.......

Please don't use JB weld or metal epoxy to glue heatsinks on to a GPU (or a CPU for that matter).

Rig up a fan to blow across the heatsink on the vid. card.

or if you're feeling ambitious, remove the old HSF and clean up the surface of the GPU and then install a new HSF with the proper thermal compound and secure with the mounting screws.

6. Paco255

Paco255

I don't know of any fans still made with the 2 pin connectors. Your best bet is to get one with the 3 pin and use the included cable to plug them directly into the power supply or see if you have an open fan header on the motherboard to use. I have one of the vantec fans on a ati 7200 and it works good if you don't have the space for the zalman. You might have to get some thermal adhesive if your card doesn't have mounting holes or if they don't line up.

7. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

8. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

9. David N.

David N.

Thanks for the links. I'd seen the Spire at Newegg and almost ordered it, but decided to recheck to see if it was the same size first, and its smaller. I was hoping to find a direct fit replacement if I could. There is another cooling system for Nvidia cards at Newegg that has a large heatsink and three fans on it that looks like it would be a direct fit, but its huge.

I may have to use some kind of thermal adhesive like Paco mentioned, but fan is on the bottom of the card in the computer, so it'd have to stick real good for me to be comfortable with it. I don't know of many places besides Newegg to look for stuff, so I've got some more places to look now. I'll figure something out.

10. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Check out www.xoxide.com too ;) I like their modding supplies just be sure to check against newegg prices.